birding-aus

(no subject)

Subject: (no subject)
From: Mike Owen <>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 12:12:55 +1000
The subspecies kept as pets in Australia is /polychlorus /or Red-sided Eclectus//from New Guinea. In Queensland a license is needed to keep this and any other non-native subspecies of Eclectus. In other states I believe no license is needed to keep non-native subspecies but a license is needed for the Australian subspecies.

The Australian subspecies is very rare in Australian aviculture - a typical price for a young aviary bred /macgillivrayi/ is around $3000, while a typical price for a hand raised /polychlorus/ is about $550.

Mike
Sunshine Coast