birding-aus

The Long Paddock - ephemeral wetlands

To: brian fleming <>, "" <>
Subject: The Long Paddock - ephemeral wetlands
From: Chris Shaw <>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 00:19:44 +0930
Hi Anthea

Thank you for your reply. I'm sure you're right. Birds will take advantage
of plentiful food supplies when they can. Your e-mail reminded me of an
occasion in 1989 when the Cooper Basin was completely flooded, water was
eleven metres deep over the Innamincka Causeway, lapping at the door of
the Inland Mission. One of the formed roads across a salt pan in the basin
was breeched by the flood and the waters were rushing through the gap in a
torrent sweeping anything that was in the flood waters past. A large group
of raptors were gathered on the road either side of the breech. As
something edible was swept past they simply flew out, grabbed it and
landed back on the road to consume it. It was like a Bistro.

Kind regards

Chris Shaw

Mobile: 0409 675912

W www.chc.ca <http://www.chcaustralia.com/>

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going." Beverly Sills