birding-aus

Bass Straight migrants and poisonous Aussie birds - birdng myths?

To: Steve Clark <>
Subject: Bass Straight migrants and poisonous Aussie birds - birdng myths?
From: Michael Tarburton <>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 17:54:53 +1000
G'day Steve

Dom Serventy, Birds of Western Australia, p. 239, "Bronzewing pigeons, both this species and the next, are given to feeding on the seeds of the box-poison plant Gastrolobium bilobum, and as a result their entrails and bones, but not the flesh, are poisonous to dogs and cats. After eating such pigeons, dogs and cats are apt to have fits, become mad, bite at anyone within reach, and finally die in convulsions."

From memory they also gain this poison from York Road poison Gastrolobium. Also from memory this is where the poison 1080 was learnt about. It is presumably made synthetically now. Native consumers apparently have varying degrees of immunity to this poison.

Cheers

Mike
Michael Tarburton