birding-aus

'Urgent' plea for donations to Save the Cassowary

To: "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: 'Urgent' plea for donations to Save the Cassowary
From: "Richard Nowotny" <>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 17:35:42 +1000
I have received the letter (below) from Kelvin Davies, CEO of Rainforest
Rescue, soliciting donations (as outlined).

The tone of the letter is somewhat breathless and pressing. Before
considering a donation I would value any informed comments from
knowledgeable Birding-aus members.

Is this a sound approach to the plight of the Cassowary?

Is Rainforest Rescue an appropriate and trustworthy organization to which to
donate?

Is Kelvin Davies similarly regarded?

Thanks.

Richard NOWOTNY

Port Melbourne, Victoria

M: 0438 224 456

Dear Richard,

As a supporter of our Save the Cassowary campaign, and someone who cares
about the future of the Endangered Southern Cassowary, I would like to ask
for a moment of your time to share with you an important vision for the
Daintree Rainforest.

I have developed an ambitious plan to buy back more Daintree Rainforest
properties than ever before, and I urgently need your help to make this
vision a reality. Please, will you send a crucial gift by the close of the
financial year - Saturday 30 June
<http://www.Swiftpage7.com/SpeClicks.aspx?X=2Z0X36GEI4KPHFBK01XXWO> .

Let me explain why I need your help. Back in the 1980s, large chunks of the
Daintree Rainforest Lowlands were not included in the National Park / World
Heritage Area. That means many parcels of land ended up in the hands of
private developers. While there are still 180 blocks that have not been
developed, there is a great risk that these properties will end up being
developed for residential housing, devastating the rainforest and its
Cassowaries.

Since 1998, my team and I have been working to buy back the Daintree
Rainforest and rescue it forever. So far we have purchased and protected 16
properties in the Daintree through the support of people like you who care
about the future of the Endangered Southern Cassowary.

This year I've taken the initiative to launch a long-term and strategic
campaign to buy back more private rainforest properties than ever before,
and I urgently need your help because you are central to this plan.

Will you please send a special end-of-financial-year donation towards my
target of $250,000 to help rescue the Daintree Rainforest forever?
<http://www.Swiftpage7.com/SpeClicks.aspx?X=2Z0X36GEI4KPHFBK02XXWO>

The plan is to buy back and protect all 180 properties currently at risk of
development by the year 2030.

That might seem like a long time away, but it's just 18 years from now.
Perhaps your children will be adults by then, or and even have small
children of their own.

It is my vision that in 2030 our children and grandchildren will inherit a
Daintree that is completely protected from development and one in which
populations of Southern Cassowaries are stable and increasing. Please will
you donate now to help kick-start this important vision
<http://www.Swiftpage7.com/SpeClicks.aspx?X=2Z0X36GEI4KPHFBK03XXWO> .

To achieve my target by 2030 we will need to buy back 10 Daintree properties
per year.

There are five key properties
<http://www.Swiftpage7.com/SpeClicks.aspx?X=2Z0X36GEI4KPHFBK04XXWO>  that
are listed by estate agents right now that I have identified as our top
priorities to buy back.

With every month that passes I become troubled that more land will be
developed. In the last few months I have seen two houses built on rainforest
that we wanted to buy back and save.

Every month we delay buying a property means more rainforest lost to
development forever. Please donate now
<http://www.Swiftpage7.com/SpeClicks.aspx?X=2Z0X36GEI4KPHFBK05XXWO> .

Your gift towards my target of $250,000 will help us buy properties quickly
and strategically. I know that the target sounds like a lot, but in my
experience it is possible, thanks to supporters like yourself giving gifts
like $100, $250 or even $500. Please click here to donate now
<http://www.Swiftpage7.com/SpeClicks.aspx?X=2Z0X36GEI4KPHFBK06XXWO> .

Every property that is lost to development is devastating for the plants and
animals of the Daintree Rainforest, particularly the Endangered Southern
Cassowary.

I hope you will join us in the race to save Australia's amazing Daintree
Rainforest and its precious Cassowaries.

Kelvin Davies, CEO Rainforest Rescue Yours sincerely,

Kelvin Davies signature

Kelvin Davies
CEO and Founding Director

Rainforest Rescue

PS: Please send your special end-of-financial-year gift by Saturday 30 June
<http://www.Swiftpage7.com/SpeClicks.aspx?X=2Z0X36GEI4KPHFBK07XXWO> towards
my ambitious target of $250,000. Your gift will kickstart our plans to buy
back the Daintree Rainforest faster than ever before and rescue it forever.

PPS: 30 June falls on a Saturday this year. I'll be available on my mobile
phone until midnight if you'd like to call me and make your donation with a
credit card at any time on that date. Please call me on 0427 662 913 and
you'll be able to get your end-of-financial-year tax deduction. Or please
just click here to donate online now
<http://www.Swiftpage7.com/SpeClicks.aspx?X=2Z0X36GEI4KPHFBK08XXWO> .