birding-aus

Grasswren Run

To: <>
Subject: Grasswren Run
From: "Tim Faulkner, Operations Manager, Australian Reptile Park & Devil Ark" <>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 19:23:34 +1000
G'day all,

Just a preliminary report on what is shaping up to be a once in a life-time
inland trip. The country appears to be in terrific shape after several good
seasons. This may have contributed to the abundance of birds we've
encountered. Between Adelaide and Mt Isa we've managed to see all eight
possible Grasswren species and one sub. Photographed all Grasswrens other
that Thick-billed, though admittedly some of the images are 'proof-of-life
only' shots. Other notable species included Letter-winged Kite, Grey Falcon,
Plains Wanderer, Chestnut-breasted and Banded Whiteface and Malleefowl.
Ahead of schedule and on day eleven, 5700km travelled, we're making the
1500km dash to Newhaven Station hoping the Princess Parrots hang around for
us, and we welcome the thought of a ninth Grasswren. When the dust settles
we'll write a thorough report for Birding Aus. This trip added a heap of new
species to John's "Big Year" list. You can follow his progress at
www.birdingfordevils.com.au if interested. It's been a lot of fun, and we'd
highly recommend anyone considering a similar trip taking advantage of the
good conditions.

Regards Tim Faulkner, Scott Ryan and John Weigel