birding-aus

Scaly-breasted Lorikeets - almost

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Scaly-breasted Lorikeets - almost
From: jenny spry <>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 15:56:45 +1000
Hi all,

Last Sunday we decided to go down to Point Lonsdale (Vic) and look for
seabirds. We spent a few hours there but the tide was in, the sky was
overcast and the wind was calm. The result was that all we saw of interest
were a few Shy Albatross, some gannets, some Silver Gulls and a Black-faced
Cormorant.

Knowing that Swift Parrots sometimes hang out at nearby Woodlands Drive in
Ocean Grove we drove over and started looking. We didn’t find any Swifties
but the trees were in heavy flower and the lorikeets were screaming and
yelling everywhere. Amongst the flocks we found what looked like
Scaly-breasted Lorikeets and I thought I had a new bird for my year list.
It was not to be though because as we looked we saw that they had all
hybridised with Rainbow and Musk Lorikeets. There are some photos on my
blog.

I did miss seeing my first Scaly-breasted Lorikeet for the year but it was
interesting to add two new hybrids to my list. So, as all days are when one
goes birding, it was a really good day.

Jenny
http://jenniferspryausbirding.blogspot.com.au/