birding-aus

Three new additions to the Oz list inc. Siberian Blue Robin

To: "" <>
Subject: Three new additions to the Oz list inc. Siberian Blue Robin
From: Rohan Clarke <>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 20:20:36 +1000
Hi All,
Over the second half of April George Swann, Mike Carter, Ash Herrod, Shana Nerenberg and I completed another survey trip to Ashmore Reef.

Vagrant bird-wise the highlights were many, including three firsts for Australia as follows: Siberian Blue Robin – an immature male was present at Ashmore for 3 days. A cracking little bird that spent most of its time eluding us in the undergrowth and grassy thickets.
Pics are here: http://www.pbase.com/wildlifeimages/siberian_blue_robin

Eastern Crowned Warbler – a long expected addition to the Aussie list given the species’ abundance in nearby Indonesia. The bird frequented the same patch of shrubs over a 2 day period. This is the third Phylloscopus warbler to be recorded at Ashmore Reef in the space of 12 months.
Pics are here: http://www.pbase.com/wildlifeimages/eastern_crowned_warbler

Asian Stubtail – A real surprise given the nearest previous record is from the central Philippines and most of these tiny migrants winter no further south than Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam. This was a one day bird, found around midday during a shorebird count, watched again that evening whilst it bathed in a tropical downpour and never seen again.
Pics are here: http://www.pbase.com/wildlifeimages/asian_stubtail

We also had an immature male Siberian Thrush (first live record for Australia following the dead bird reported from Esperance WA last year), the awesome spectacle of 6 (!) Oriental Honey-Buzzards soaring over Ashmore Reef one evening, roosting on the island overnight, then departing to the north the next morning and a Japanese Sparrowhawk that fed on a hapless Bronze Cuckoo whilst we watched. Closer to the Kimberley coast at Browse Island we also had the first Asian Brown Flycatcher for Western Australia. Pics of these birds have been posted here: http://www.pbase.com/wildlifeimages/vagrants

Kimberley Birdwatching will be running a birding tour to Ashmore for 8 days from the 20-27th October 2012. As well as providing some of the most exciting birding opportunities in Australia these trips also contribute data to the ongoing bird monitoring program at the reef.
For details visit http://www.kimberleybirdwatching.com.au/

Cheers,
Rohan Clarke

--