birding-aus

60th Birthday Trip

Subject: 60th Birthday Trip
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 19:09:12 -0400 (EDT)
Hi all

I am in the preliminary stages of planning a 60th birthday trip for July or
 August 2013.  It needs to combine good birding (although not too rigorous
due to a bad back) and family activities that teenage (13 and 16) girls
will  enjoy.  A return to Eastern Australia is one of the finalists.  Our  plan
would be to show the girls Sydney for a couple of days, spend some time
with friends in Lisarow, NSW, and then head for about a week to Northern
Queensland (and perhaps Uluru as well).  I have some questions about the
Northern Queensland part.

1.  Can anyone suggest places in Northern Queensland that would  combine
birding and activities teens would enjoy.  Ideally, there would be  things
that we could do with the kids while not birding and that the kids could  do
while we were birding.  Certainly we will work in some beach time and a  trip
to the reef.  Daintree and the river tour seems like one good  idea.  I
expect that we will want to stay at two different places, maybe  even three.

2.  Is winter a good time to bird Northern Queensland?  I realize  that the
PNG migrants will be absent, but it seems it might be a better time for
local breeders, such as the Victoria's Riflebird.  Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help.

Eric Jeffrey
Falls Church, VA
USA