birding-aus

Vanuatu Petrel off Port Stephens?

To: "'Nikolas Haass'" <>, "'Mick Roderick'" <>, <>
Subject: Vanuatu Petrel off Port Stephens?
From: "Dion Hobcroft" <>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 23:02:53 +1000
Hi Mick,

Yes can only agree with Nikolas as many photos from as many angles no matter
how bad can still help with assessment-handy if flying with Wedgies or
FFoots for relative wingspans etc. It really is a strikingly dark bird in
the under primaries and leading edge despite the gloomy skies.

White bellies are really not that uncommon on Providence and Great-winged
Petrels-I have seen partially leucistic individuals of the latter twice and
Providence often have paleish bellies when worn. If you have photos the
structure should rule out anything more interesting. GW and PP are
strikingly similar structurally but very different to Kermadecs and Herald.
Herald should always show a pale leading edge to the inner wing.

Lots of great birds out there

Cheers

Dion