birding-aus

Blown eyes

To: "Damien Farine" <>, <>, <>, <>
Subject: Blown eyes
From: "Greg and Val Clancy" <>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 18:47:12 +1000
I am aware of two Black-necked Storks that had unusual eyes. One was observed by a number of people in the Taree area. It appeared to have one yellow iris and one dark (?brown) iris. Locals referred to it as the 'hermaphrodite stork' as it had one male coloured iris and one female coloured iris. I observed a female Black-necked (Satin) Stork at Roberts Creek, Woodford Island a couple of years ago. It was in the company of a banded male. The female had one yellow iris and the other appeared dark (brown) however when observed closer the iris seemed to be yellow but with red colouring as if it was damaged and covered with broken blood vessels. The male bred with a female with normal eyes and we don't know whether it was the same bird that had the injury but that it had mended and returned to being yellow or whether he chose another female. The female with the damaged iris was observed once following the first sighting but has not been seen since the birds started to breed. Unfortunately the banded bird was killed on powerlines and the female had to raise the one nestling by herself, a feat which she did successfully achieve.

Greg
Dr Greg. P. Clancy
Ecologist and Wildlife Guide
Coutts Crossing