birding-aus

Kookaburras

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Kookaburras
From: Annabel Ashworth <>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 11:53:15 +1000
Saw a "Communal Laugh-in" by kookaburras the other day near Tamworth NSW.   A
pair started laughing down by the river, and kookaburras came to join them from
all directions.   Must have ended up with about 10 birds.   They alternated
between flying around in circles and perching to have a laugh.   There were up
to 5 birds flying at any one time.    There didn't appear to be any territorial
friction, although one pair was investigating a hollow.   They kept jumping
back from it, so I wondered if there might have been a snake or goanna in it.
Had all the other birds come to support those two?   That tree was the centre
of the performance.

The whole thing went on for ages and I am wondering if anyone has any
suggestions as to what was happening?

Cheers Annabel