birding-aus

Honeyeater migration

To: Michael Tarburton <>, "Barbara Jones" <>
Subject: Honeyeater migration
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 07:34:53 +1000
Hi Mike, Barbara and all,

Yes, the Yellow-faced Honeyeater migration has started in the NSW Blue Mountains too. I was away for the last week in March when the first flocks usually start coming through, but I received reports of a few moving then. However it's often the first cold snap in April which really triggers them to start moving in much larger numbers. That cold snap happened this week and sure enough, the birds are following.

In fact, the counting of migrating honeyeaters has entered a new era in the Blue Mountains. Members of Blue Mountains Bird Observers are now doing regular counts each autumn for the IBA project. This year we have 19 volunteers counting on a weekly basis and as a result it looks like we'll have someone counting on every morning between now and the middle of May. Counts are performed for 20 minutes at 5 key sites across the mountains. We do already know that there is enormous variation from day to day which seems to be associated with the weather, as well as great variation from one year to another. Last autumn (the first year of this project) was a very slow year with particularly low numbers of birds observed. Already this year we've seen greater numbers, with one volunteer at Shipley (Blackheath) counting 1090 birds in 20 minutes on Wednesday this week.

To answer the question regarding the species, the vast majority of our birds are Yellow-faced Honeyeaters, with a few White-naped which generally increase as the season progresses until they make up a significant proportion in May. In addition we see quite a few flocks of pardalotes (Spotted and Striated), Silvereyes, Red Wattlebirds and Noisy Friarbirds moving through. Occasionally other species such as Fuscous Honeyeaters, Mistletoebirds etc, join in.

As the season progresses I'll be able to report more.

The Blue Mountains are about 80 km west of Sydney.

Cheers,

Carol