birding-aus

white-eared monarch near Border Ranges NP

Subject: white-eared monarch near Border Ranges NP
From: Ronda Green <>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 14:20:53 +1000
Maybe it's not such an unusual sighting, but I've often travelled Simes Road to
Border Ranges NP over the past 30 years or so, and  this is the first time I've
seen a white-eared monarch. Just downhill from the BRNP, in early April,  it
was feeding amongst eucalypt foliage in open forest adjoining grazing country,
possibly about five km from the nearest rainforest and 3 km from a Eucalyptus
grandis community.

The last time I saw this species was a few years ago at home  -  a few km to
the west of Lamington NP, at the edge of the dry rainforest of Mt Chnighee NP

Ronda Green, BSc(Hons) PhD
Araucaria Ecotours
http://www.learnaboutwildlife.com
Chair Wildlife Tourism Australia: http://wildlifetourism.org.au
Chair Scenic Rim Wildlife: http://scenicrim.wildlife.org.au/
Honorary research fellow Griffith University