birding-aus

Lovers Jump Creek, North Turramurra (N Sydney) 6 April 2012

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Lovers Jump Creek, North Turramurra (N Sydney) 6 April 2012
From: "Tom and Mandy Wilson" <>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 10:41:19 +1000
Hi all
I made an early morning foray to Lovers Jump Creek in North Turramurra this morning, walking from McRae Place to just below Golden Jubilee Oval and back in about 2 1/2 hours. Overall I saw or heard 46 species - no sign of the Powerful Owls that sometimes roost over the creek near McRae Place. There weren't many honeyeaters, although some bloodwood is blossoming. Best sightings were:

- a pair of immature Black Faced Monarchs seen not far from where the track splits to go towards North Turramurra (must be just about time for them to go I would have thought); - a pair of Superb Lyrebirds with the male displaying in a 1/2 hearted fashion (so winter is definitely coming); - a small party (5 or 6) of Brown Headed Honeyeaters in a mixed flock of Brown Thornbills, Grey Fantails and Brown Gerygones; - a single Collared Sparrowhawk being given plenty of bother by about 30 Sulphur Crested Cockatoos; - a family of Black Faced Cuckoo Shrikes (4 birds) eating some large green insects (looked like stick insects or preying mantis at a distance, but they were obviously a few as at one point all 4 birds had one);
- a single Wonga Pigeon seen (more heard);
- three of four groups of Brown Cuckoo Doves in different places; and
- a single White Headed Pigeon.

There were lots of very vocal Golden Whistlers all along the track and Scarlet Honeyeaters were also calling, although I only managed to see a couple.

Cheers
Tom Wilson