birding-aus

SW QLD Sightings - Not Bowra

To: <>
Subject: SW QLD Sightings - Not Bowra
From: robert burgoyne <>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 20:48:32 +1030

Thanks Nick, caught up with a lifer at Eulo Bore on 31/03 when I saw the CBQT
at the same site.  The ridge line starts just short of 5km from the bore as it
rises up from the flat and the bird was on top and at the start of the ridge
line through to about 200m along the top from this point (approx 200metres off
the road).  I saw it poorly initially at the end (start?) of the ridge where I
flushed it twice, then later after losing it in low scrub it ran across an old
track at the top of the ridge line about 200m further east and not being able
to find it again I got better views on my return to the same area after about
40 minutes of looking at other birds whilst it skulked around in the
undergrowth trying to avoid me.  It then flew back to where I had seen it
first, so I left it in peace.
I also headed out west on the Inaminka Road to the oil fields and the lower
Cooper Creek in a vain search for the Grey Grass-wren (bitumen all the way,
albeit a lot of single lane).  The area still has plenty of water with 300mm
flowing over the road in places where the channels cross it.  Of course the
place is very green with hundreds if not thousands of Black-tailed Native Hens
enjoying the abundance of life the water has brought (walking in a shallow
channel off the road I flushed at least 300!) .  Pin in a haystack as far as
Grey Grass-wren goes though!
Rob Burgoyne
> Message: 9
> Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 03:24:07 +0000
> From: Nick Leseberg <>
> To: Birding-aus <>
> Subject: [Birding-Aus] SW QLD Sightings - Not Bowra

... after checking the old ridgeline ... for > Chestnut-breasted Quail-Thrush
without success, found one on the low rise 5km