birding-aus

Rainbow Beach/Inskip Point

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Rainbow Beach/Inskip Point
From: Nick Leseberg <>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 03:26:13 +0000

Hi All Again,

On the back of my SW QLD trip I spent a couple of days in
the Rainbow Beach area last weekend, visiting most of the usual spots.

Top of the list was Inskip Point which was very productive.
Over an afternoon and morning I saw several Black-breasted Buttonquail, a Beach
Thick-knee which judging by its agitated state had young birds in the area,
both Greater and Lesser Sandplovers in breeding plumage, Double-banded Plovers,
and a good selection of other waders. A fruiting tree near the car park was
full of birds with Fairy Gerygone, Mangrove Honeyeater, Varied Triller,
Spectacled Monarch and Rose-crowned Fruit-Doves notable.

At Bymien there were pigeons everywhere, with Rose-crowned
and Wompoo Fruit-Doves calling incessantly, and we had good views of both.
Cooloola Way was closed due to the heavy rain, so didn’t get to check that out.

Other good birds in the general area were about 10 Cotton
Pygmy-Geese on a dam 30km west of Gympie, while at Sheep Station Creek near
Caboolture there was Black-chinned Honeyeater and a dark phase White-bellied
Cuckoo-Shrike. Finished up with a pair of very wet Glossy Black Cockatoos on
the way home near Lake Samsonvale.

Good birding!

Nick