birding-aus

RFI Bird species codes

To: 'David James' <>, 'Birding Aus' <>
Subject: RFI Bird species codes
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 09:48:02 +1100
I'm not prepared to learn a code, and fearing ambiguities I've resorted to my
own longer abbreviations instead. E.g. B-faced C-shrike instead of BFCS should
be easier to interpret should names change in the future. Other examples: Sup
F-wren, LB Corm, P Swamp, W-plumed HE. There's more writing than a 4 letter
code, but less danger of misinterpretation even when I make them up on the spot.

I've thought of making checklists for places I go a lot, so I can just tick
them off, but haven't got around to it. That would make entering them into
Eremaea later much faster.

I've also thought of using a recorder, but I know I'll never get around to
transcribing them, and they'll end up just being lost.

I'm wondering if people using iPhone apps, etc, have found they can enter the
full names just as quickly as entering codes or abbreviations.

Doesn't this topic get done to death several times a year on birding-aus?

Peter Shute