birding-aus

Hillarys Pelagic trip 1st April - places remaining

To: Birds WA E-Mail List <>, Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Hillarys Pelagic trip 1st April - places remaining
From: John Graff <>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 09:07:40 +0800

G'day everyone, There have been some cancellations for the upcoming pelagic
trip out of Hillarys on Sunday April 1st. As such, there are now a number of
spaces available on the trip. If you're interested, please get in touch with
the organiser, Alan Collins, by e-mail at  (preferred), or
by phone on 9291 4219. The cost of the boat is shared equally by all
participants, and is expected to be $110 with a full boatload of 27 people
(increasing if the boat is not filled - e.g. expected cost with 25 people is
$115)  As posted previously, this is the first trip that has been run off Perth
at this time of year for over a decade, so we should hopefully record a few
different species to other Hillarys trips in recent years. We hope to see
shearwaters, jaegers (which pass in good numbers on passage in early April),
terns, and possibly albatross and petrels. Plus we are hoping something
different may turn up, like tropicbirds or possibly other more tropical species
 courtesy of warm water temps from a strong Leeuwin Current. And last year's
Great Shearwater irruption was around this time of year too, so you never know
:D Cheers,John