birding-aus

Update Eastern Yellow Wagtail, Wagtail Way, Ash Island, Newcastle/Hexham

To: "Nikolas Haass" <>, "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Update Eastern Yellow Wagtail, Wagtail Way, Ash Island, Newcastle/Hexham, NSW
From: "Peter Madvig" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 11:51:36 +1100
Hi Nikolas,

Thanks to you and Raja for all the sharing you do....it's much appreciated and enjoyed.

We were in Europe for 6 months last summer, mostly in Denmark but had a super, birding trip to Estonia and a dash to Scotland / England.
Your mention on Motacilla made me think of our views:-

M.f. flava (Blue-headed), the most common one in Denmark and Estonia, but,
M.f. thunbergi (Grey-headed, the Northern bird) seen as a passage migrant in Estonia - wow!
M. cinerea ( Grey Wagtail), a pair by a stream in Scotland.
M. citreola (Citrine Wagtail), several in Estonia. Double - wow!!
And then there are the White Wagtail group,
M.a. alba on the Continent, and the M.a.yarreli (Pied) in U.K.

A couple of years ago on Wagtail Way we saw, - what.....a M.a.tchutchensis or a simillima???White eyebrow and white throated, but both non-breeders are reasonably similar, so...!!?

Cheers,
Peter Madvig