birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
Date: 12 Mar 2012 01:30:51 +1000

Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 11 Mar 2012.

Sun 11 Mar Caspian tern, Eastern Curlew Hooka Pt, Port kembla
Caspian Tern x6, one Eastern Curlew on the island off Hooka Pt and a swarm of European Goldfinch at nearby Coomaditchy Lagoon.
Michael Barton

Scarlet Honeyeater Wattle Forest, Royal National Park
Two male birds in trees behind toilet block in picnic area
Chris Pollard

Sat 10 Mar Painted Button-quail, Chestnut-rumped Heathwren Bucketty Waterhole, Bucketty
A visit to Bucketty Waterhole and nearby Mount Manning, found a pair of Painted Button-quail at the edge of the Settlers Road, a Chestnut-rumped Heathwren flew across the road and then a second bird was found, a pair of White-bellied Cuckoo-shrikes and 6 Dusky Woodswallows including dependent young were seen, and Yellow-tufted Honeyeaters were the commonest honeyeater present. White-bellied Cuckoo-shrikes are rare visitors to the Central Coast.
Mike Kuhl, Alan Morris & Richard Nowatny

Azure Kingfisher Bundanoon
Staggering views through the nocs of a juvenile Azure Kingfisher perched above a culvert between the sewage treatment works and swamp, not far from home. I was twenty feet away from the bird. It let out a call similar to a Mistletoebird's a few times. A white tip to the bird's beak, took me back a little, as I'd never seen this on an AK before. Simpson showed it to be a juv bird. No other field guide depicted this feature.
Lorne Johnson

Bridled Tern, Red-tailed Tropicbird, White-chinned Petrel, Buller's Albatross Sydney Pelagic
A top pelagic day out of Sydney with the highlights being Bridled Tern, Red-tailed Tropicbird, White-chinned Petrel, Buller's Albatross and White-necked Petrel. A great day on the water with a count of 20 species - full report on birding-aus soon.
Roger McGovern and all on the Halicat

Australasian Bittern Longneck Lagoon, Pitt town
Two birds were disturbed and flew off. Distinct brown colouring. The Lagoon is flooded and the bridge completely submerged. Would be interested if anyone else has seen them.
Mark Clayton

Spotted Harrier Gooromon Ponds Creek Crossing
One bird to the north of the ACT-NSW border hunting over paddocks. Last seen heading west at 09.30.
Peter Christian

Fri 9 Mar Plumed whistling duck, Peregrine falcon Fernleigh Lagoon and Bensons Lane Richmond Lowlands
There were 20+ Plumed whistling ducks on Fernleigh Lagoon and visible from the Ridges Lane side. Later a peregrine falcon was seen chasing starlings over the football grounds beside Bensons Lane, Richmond Lowlands.
Peter Kelly and Adrian Dick

Little Eagle, 40+ White-throated Needletail Abbotsbury, SW Sydney
While doing a risk assessment with the Western Sydney Parklands for an upcoming walk at the Plough & Harrow I was excited to see a group of around 30 WTNTs. As I left I saw another group of 15 and a large raptor, not the Square-tailed Kite (seen from my garden yesterday - honest!) but a Little Eagle. Three more WTNT were seen at Rooty Hill on my way home, a nice way to finish.
Mark Fuller

Thu 8 Mar Glossy Black Cockatoo Greta, New England Highway, NSW
Three Glossy Black Cockatoos flew over the highway and landed in the casuarina bushes (near Greta).
Ted Wnorowski

Australasian Bittern, Glossy Ibis, Plumed Whistling Duck Mother Duck Lagoon, Guyra, NSW
Incredible place now. It looks like a big lake with huge flocks of water birds (ducks, herons, ibises, spoonbills. I visited this site early morning and bitterns were booming very loudly. I counted at least 4 A bitterns ( usually standing at the edge of high vegetation). Latham's Snipes were still there in high number ( counted at least 16 birds). They were feeding in the the open on the edge of flooded golf course. Other interesting birds found in the lagoon: Buff-banded rail (family with 5 chicks), Plumed Whistling Duck (15), Musk Duck (5), Glossy Ibis (3), Yellow-billed Spoonbill (5), Pink-eared Duck (60), Wiskered Tern (100+).
Ted Wnorowski

Powerful Owl Woodfield Avenue Bundeena, Royal National Park
21:37 hours, two birds are currently out the front of my house calling to each other.
Deryk Engel

Wed 7 Mar Beach Stone-curlew, Double-banded Plover Farquar Inlet, Old Bar
On two seperate days, 5 and 7 March , the pair of Beach Stone-Curlews were seen on the inside of Farquar Inlet, along the 4 wheel drive track that runs on the inside of the sandspit. The birds each time crossed into the fenced area of the Little Tern nesting site. At high tide, most of the waders and terns were gathered at the entrance to the Inlet, including 42 Red-necked Stints, 25 Double-banded Plover, 46 Red-capped Plover 42 Pacifc Golden Plovers, 20+ Bar-tailed Godwit, 8+ Whimbrel, 30 Eastern Curlew, 100+ Little Terns ,44 Common Terns, 1 Caspian Tern, and Wedge-tailed Shearwaters were feeding close inshore.
Alan Morris & Allan Benson

Grey Goshawk Kiama Bends, Kiama (southern end)
At 5:20pm while heading north just before Kiama bends I was merging lanes due to roadworks. A Grey Goshawk flew very low across the Princes Hwy right in front of me, being chased by a Magpie. Great views.
Carla Jackett

Tue 6 Mar Wedge-tailed Eagle Near Wollongong
Just on the exit ramp/lane to Wollongong off the Princes Hwy, I saw a beautifully plumaged immature Wedge-tailed Eagle sitting on a speed sign. It was only a few metres from me as I drove past it.
Carla Jackett

Sooty Owl Lapstone
Sooty Owl observed in my friend's backyard at 21:00 tonight. This is the third time he's seen/heard the bird there in the past week. Unsure whether it's a dispersing young or an adult in a less often used part of its home range. An impressive bird on the western outskirts of Sydney for sure.
Ákos Lumnitzer

Double-banded Dotterel, Great Knot, Little Tern, Red-necked Stint, Pacific Golden Plover Richmond River estuary, Ballina NSW
A total of 4 Double-banded Dotterel were observed. A group of 3 on the sailing club sandbar and a single bird on the nearby Kingsford Smith sports fields. Also of note were good numbers of Pacific Golden Plover, 34 Red-necked Stint, 4 Great Knot and 187 Little Tern.
David Charley

Mon 5 Mar Powerful Owl, Australian Hobby Old Bar Rd Old Bar
A Powerful Owl called consistantly between 2200-2230 hrs in a park next to No 25 Old Bar Rd. The following night we were ready with taped calls, spotlight etc but the Owl failed to appear. A pair of Hobbies consistantly chased Swallows and lorikeets throughout the day and a juvenile Koel Cuckoo was also still present.
Alan Morris

Grey Goshawk Bankstown 10' Cell
1, low overhead at 7:25 pm, close to the railway line near Clark St., Belmore.
Anthony & Vicki Katon

Gang Gang Cockatoo Bathurst Airport, E of Bathurst.
4 birds, one male, female, two begging young.
Neville Schrader

Pallid Cuckoo, Satin Bowerbird, Striated Heron Gore Creek
An immature pallid cuckoo was in the trees just beyond the playground. Further down the track 4/5 female or juvenile satin bowerebids were moving amongst the trees on the Northwood side. The striated heron is still there.
Judy Clark

White-throated Needletail, Satin Flycatcher Galaringi Reserve, Carlingford
White-throated Needletail (5) observed. Flying on big loops just above the high transmission powerlines, still there after 15 minutes. Satin Flycatcher (1) Male, calling . Not seen by me in this area before. I have a photograph.
Jenny Stiles

Sun 4 Mar Black-faced Monarch, Scaley-breasted Lorikeet Acaica Gardens
An Immature Black-faced Monarch spent an enjoyable day catching food and preening in my backyard yesterday. Also present were 3 Scaley-breasted Lorikeets amongs many Musk and Rainbow Lorikeets that were feeding in the flowering Forest Red Gums down the road. Besides the Monarch, I also added another new bird for my backyard list yesterday, an Australasian Darter (Mo. 76 and 77).
Edwin Vella

Square-tailed Kite North Richmond
One Square-tailed Kite seen flying low over the Bells Line of Road near the entrance to Colo High School
Carl Corden

Square-tailed Kite Mollymook / Ulladulla
A pair of STKs were seen gliding back an forth over the gardens near the Mollymook bowling greens. While the STKs are commonly seen around this area in the summer months they're the first I've seen a pair together. Unfortunately as binos are frowned upon while bowling, I'm unable to say if one was an imm or give any other information.
bob rusk

Square-tailed Kite Cambridge Gardens near Penrith
At 10:15 this morning, a rather ragged looking adult cruised near my house at low altitude surveying the treetops for prey. The bird was missing several primaries.
Ákos Lumnitzer

Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo, White-throated Needletail Bicentennial Park, Homebush Bay
Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo (1) Immature begging constantly and being fed by several Superb Fairywrens. White-throated Needletail (30) Flying low over the park at 9am.
Stephen Mannix

Bar-Tailed Godwit Timbrell Park - Rodd Point
30-40 birds seen while driving from Rodd Point to Timbrell Park. Also a few seen up a bit closer to the Iron Cove Bridge from Rodd Point.
Simon Gorta

Striated Heron mudflats, Gore Creek Bay, Greenwich
A single bird perched on a low rock soon during a receding tide. It dived into the water about 2 metres from the rock, then continued hunting in the shallow water, to a nearby exposed mud flat. This was late afternoon.
Sheila Walkerden

Sat 3 Mar Black necked Stork, Magpie Geese, Diamond Dove, Stubble Quail Property near Garah
A Jabiru was seen wading on a farm dam and suddenly flew as soon as we approached. A large number of Magpie Geese were also sighted. Heard Stubble Quail again. 2 Diamond Doves were seen in the town itself.
Curtis Hayne

Pink-eared Duck Fernleigh's Lagoon Richmond NSW
Pink-eared Duck in flight at Fernleigh's Lagoon
Tony Dawe & Edwin Vella

Swift Parrot Kurrajong Rd beside the Richmond Bridge, Richmond
My first Swift Parrot for the season as heard calling twice beside Kurrajong Rd and before the Richmond Bridge. Plenty of people here checking out the rising river but unfortunately not aware of something "even better and more exciting" to look out for!
Edwin Vella and Tony Dawe

Plumed Whistling-ducks (50) Ferneligh's Lagoon, Richmond Lowlands (off Powells Lane)
There was about 50 Plumed Whistling-ducks at their usual spot in Fernleigh's Lagoon as well as 2 pairs of Pink-eared Ducks. It is not that unusual to see around 100 Plumed Whistling-ducks at this lagoon as I have encountered in the past but I have not seen these ducks for a few years in the Hawkesbury until now.
Edwin Vella and Tony Dawe

Fri 2 Mar Plumed Whistling-Duck Urunga Island, Urunga, NSW
160 birds on the sandspit at the southern end of Urunga Island
Richard Jordan

Beach Stone Curlew Southern end of pelican Island Port Mcquarie
Also seen 3rd march. The BSC was on the sandy beach,both at high and low tide.
Allen Hamilton

Pacific Baza Coutts Crossing 2460
Pair of adults, 2 juveniles, feeding in tops of Eucalyptus Trees. Juveniles very noisy
Peter Martin

Birdline NSW is sponsored by Birding NSW, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT and Cumberland Bird Observers Club and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.