birding-aus

Birdline Central & Southern Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Central & Southern Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 12 Mar 2012 01:30:40 +1000

Birdline Central & Southern Queensland

Published sightings for the week ending 11 Mar 2012.

Thu 8 Mar Great Cormorant, Black-chinned Honeyeater, Restless Flycatcher Ewan Maddock Dam.
Great Cormorant (6) Resting on yellow dam restrainer keeping back salvinia weed + in company with 6 White-faceed Herons. Yellow/white throats and facial skin completely ruled out Little Black Cormorant which chose to roost in paperbark trees. Black-chinned Honeyeater Restless Flycatcher
Judith Lattaway

Pictorella Mannikin Moranbah area
Since posting a week ago, I thought I'd give an update on the status of the Pictorella Mannikins in the Moranbah area. Flocks of 10-50 are being seen multiple times a day, from very distant locations. I'd estimate that 150 individuals are currently present on the property I'm surveying. There is no sign of breeding as yet, although all birds are adults. Many small flocks appear to be simply flying past overhead, and almost all of these are heading in a southerly direction. It appears that their southerly irruption is not stopping here!
Chris Wiley

Sat 3 Mar Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo, White-eared Monarch Enoggera Reservoir, Brisbane Forest Park
Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo (4) Adult & juv & later a pair of adults - fly over White-eared Monarch - Pair showing nicely around last 'corner' opp dam wall.
Colin Reid

Oriental Cuckoo Anstead Bush Reserve
One present at the bush reserve near the power lines. This is the 27th individual at this site that I've counted in four years (almost certainly some individuals seen on more than one occasion). Also first record for the site of Restless Flycatcher on 4th. How unusual are they in the Brisbane Council area?
Rod Gardner

Latham's Snipe Cooby Dam (Loveday Road), s/w of Crows Nest
Latham's Snipe Good close views (within 3 metres) for about 20 minutes. At water's edge. Photo taken but of it moving into the long grass.
Julie Sarna

Birdline Central & Southern Queensland is sponsored by Birdlife Southern Queensland and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.