birding-aus

FW: Highlights of birding observations on Cocos Keeling from 24 Feb - 3

To: <>
Subject: FW: Highlights of birding observations on Cocos Keeling from 24 Feb - 3 March (Tim Faulkner, Rick Webb, Scott Ryan and John Weigel)
From: "Tim Faulkner, Operations Manager, Australian Reptile Park & Devil Ark" <>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 12:56:27 +1100

A fast-moving and rewarding week in the Indian Ocean with a number of
vagrant species sighted.

First bird was green jungle fowl. In fast succession came white-breasted
waterhen, nankeen night herons, and little egrets. Western and eastern reef
herons were foraging at the tidal flats at north end of runway, along with a
single pied stilt, a single eastern curlew, whimbrels, and striated heron.
Lesser frigatebirds were present in good numbers, with only a few great
frigatebirds.

Then a run to the quarantine station where we flushed 10+ pin-tailed snipe
(thanks to the detailed tip from Pam Jones from Dory?s café).  We were to
see these snipe several more times, and later found a single bird near the
airstrip. Then in fading light we went to the swamp where we immediately saw
a single Eurasian teal.  We were to see this bird on several subsequent
visits to the only substantial freshwater body on the island.

Also seen on West Island was a large-hawk cuckoo at the north end of the
quarantine station and several frustrating views of cuckoos/koels around the
Cocos Beach motel area of settlement. A single watercock was flushed at the
lime plantation near the swamp.

A trip to South Island on motorized canoes was a birding highlight, giving
tremendous views of 10+ Saunder?s terns, one gull-billed tern, six
grey-tailed tattlers, 40+ ruddy turnstones, sanderling, red-necked stint,
and both greater and lesser sandplovers. Common noddies were seen on the
trip back to West Island.

The next side-trip was to Home Island, where one member of the group (Scott)
had views of a Hodgson?s hawk-cuckoo. We flushed a single snipe on several
occasions over a two-day period. Notably, this bird did not make any calls
prior to or during flight, in contrast to our experience with the pin-tailed
snipe on West Island.

Next came Horsburgh Island, which gave us feral chicken, Christmas Island
white-eyes, an immature masked booby and white terns.

Special thanks are owed to Rohan Clarke, Mick Roderick, Richard Baxter, Mike
Carter, Lisa Preston and Pam Jones.

Tim Faulkner

Operations Manager

Australian Reptile Park & Devil Ark