birding-aus

GREY FALCON / ROAD CONDITIONS CENTRAL AUSTRALIA

To: <>
Subject: GREY FALCON / ROAD CONDITIONS CENTRAL AUSTRALIA
From: robert burgoyne <>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 17:57:12 +1100

Hi all, on the move again from Darwin, currently in the Alice.  Grey Falcon
seen 132km north of Ti Tree just north of Taylor's Creek Rest area.  Plenty of
water around, managed to get through at McGrath Creek (50km north of the Alice)
with about 300mm running across the road at the creek proper.  Some 2WD were
also getting through, one didn't quite make it earlier and was off the road,
though still upright and everyone out O.K. - Before the usual suspects complain
about going through flood-waters, I waited for a truck to come through from the
south (CB contact - one way traffic only) and considered his report before
going through in my 4WD with several others from the north, the sun was out and
there was no rain at the time there or in the catchment further to the east.
Reports of up to 90mm of rain in that area overnight (Gem Tree), but it is very
localised (No rivers / creeks running in the Alice yet). More rain expected
until Saturday (40-50mm tonight from SW according to
  BOM) so just depends on where it lands to decide if I make it to QLD by
Sunday.  Worst thing is, if it does rain up north, I might have to stay and
watch the AFL on Saturday night in the Alice where my team, the Crows are
playing the Eagles (its an ill wind).  Good birding!
Rob Burgoyne