birding-aus

Rothenberg book errors

Subject: Rothenberg book errors
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 09:20:51 +1100
Hello all,

See below from Syd Curtis, who is not currently on Birding-Aus.

Cheers,
Carol

From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 22:43:51 +1000
Subject: For birding-aus please

Dear Carol,

I would be most grateful if you would forward this to birding-aus.

I have received in the mail a copy of the book "Survival of the Beautiful" by David Rothenberg - Bloomsbury Publishing 2011. (No indication who sent it to me.) To my considerable embarrassment the author seriously misquotes me on the first page.

Years ago I guided Rothenberg to an Albert's Lyrebird in the O'Reilly's sector of Lamington N. P., and incidentally showed him a Satin Bowerbird's bower. In the book he has me saying re the bower:

  *  the oldest artwork in the world
  *  a structure made of dried grasses
  *  blue pigment that they grind up from fruit pulp with their beaks
  *  raid picnic tables up to ten miles away
  *  have been building bowers for fifty million years

none of which I said, and obviously are wrong (or seem likely to be).

Fig. 2 on page 8, is a B/W photo of a bower. The caption says it is a Satin Bowerbird's and clearly it is not. (And the second plate after page152 is the same photo in colour.)

I haven't read on past page 2 (and probably won't), so I can't comment on the rest of the book.

        Sincerely

                Syd

        (H.S. Curtis, Hawthorne, Qld.)