birding-aus

Birdline Western Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Western Australia Weekly Update
Date: 20 Feb 2012 01:30:53 +1000

Birdline Western Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 19 Feb 2012.

Sun 19 Feb Hudsonian Godwit Picnic Cove, Lake Joondalup, Western Australia
Hudsonian Godwit still viewable from Picnic Cove on Sunday at 11am, still associating with breeding plumaged Black-tailed Godwit. Also at Picnic Cove were Intermediate Egret (1), White-winged Black Tern (2) and Tiger Snake (1)!
Saul Cowen

Sat 18 Feb Hudsonian Godwit Scenic Drive, Lake Joondalup, Western Australia
The Hudwit was with the Blackwit again this morning (7 – 8am), best viewed from Scenic Drive. They were probably behind the reeds for anyone viewing from Picnic Cove. The heat haze was very low and we got good views, and agree that the other band looked green.
per Richard & Liz King

Hudsonian Godwit Picnic Cove, Lake Joondalup, Western Australia
Latest Hudwit update is that it was showing reasonably well from Picnic Cove yesterday arvo, and well enough for several people to see the colour band on it's other leg, accompanying the red leg flag. Dimitris, Wayne Merritt and others are confident that the colour band is green - I was also able to get some more rubbish photos that show both the flag and the colour band. This was passed on to the American researchers, who report that this confirms that the bird was banded on Chiloe Island, Chile, in January 2010! The bird was still associating with the breeding plumage Blackwit. Also around Picnic Cove were 3 White-winged Black Terns, and 2 Gull-billed Terns were seen from Neil Hawkins Park
per John Graff

Fri 17 Feb Hudsonian Godwit Picnic Cove, Lake Joondalup, Western Australia
The Hudsonian Godwit is viewable today from Picnic Cove and has a leg-flag from Chile
Steve Burns per BirdsWA

Intermediate Egret (Juvenile) Picnic Cove, Lake Joondalup, Western Australia
John Darnell has informed me that he had a juvenile Intermediate Egret yesterday at Picnic Cove. It seems that the adult bird has/had a mate?
John Darnell per Dimitris Bertzeletos

Thu 16 Feb Hudsonian Godwit Picnic Cove, Lake Joondalup, Western Australia
Both the Hudsonian & Black-tailed Godwits were seen from Picnic Cove this morning. The Hudsonian was seen best from 10-11 am; about 150m from lake edge.
per Mark Henryon

Wed 15 Feb Hudsonian Godwit Scenic Drive, Lake Joondalup, Western Australia
John Graff and Wayne Merritt were watching the Hudsonian Godwit (and the Black-tailed Godwit) from a grassy area on Scenic Drive on the east side of Lake Joondalup roughly directly opposite Picnic Cove. Wayne called me at 07:50.
John Graff and Wayne Merritt per Frank O'Connor

Mon 13 Feb Black-shouldered Kite (Elanus-axillaris) 14 miles NW Barrow Island (20-31s / 115-04) On vessel MV Lorelay, Western Australia
Did not believe what I saw, ten of these species sitting on the ships structure. Seeing them from quite a distance, I first thought they were Terns (they sometimes hoover like Terns). But they seemed bigger When I got closer I saw those beautifull eyes! They continued hoovering above the vessel for the whole afternoon. Amazing ! I am still wondering if they are from Barrow Island or from somewhwere else.
Sebastiaan Algra (Dutch) on board MV Lorelay

Gull-billed Tern, Intermediate Egret Picnic Cove, Lake Joondalup, Western Australia
I was at Picnic Cove and Neil Hawkins and then back to Picnic Cove from 09:50 to 13:30. No Hudwit. I did not search hard for other species but I did see: Black-tailed Godwit (1), Terns (9+ at Neil Hawkins) Did not check ID of all as they were distant, but at least two Gull-billed Terns. Banded Stilt (1), Red-necked Avocet (31+), Australian Spotted Crake (10+), Baillon's Crake (3+), Spotless Crake (no confirmed sighting, but maybe one or two distant), Buff-banded Rail (1), Glossy Ibis (1 at south end), Marsh Sandpiper (5+), Common Greenshank (20+), Intermediate Egret (1). From what I saw today, the best strategy seemed to be to stay at Picnic Cove and wait for birds to be flushed into the area. They are closer than Neil Hawkins (still preferably need a scope).
per Frank O'Connor

Fri 10 Feb Little Button Quail (dead) Cnr of Hastings Street and Brighton Road, Scarborough, Western Australia
A freshly dead Little Button Quail was found beside the footpath in Scarborough. It was gone when I went back later to get a photograph (probably picked up by a dog or cat).
Henry Cook

Birdline Western Australia is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.