birding-aus

Birding around Yarram

To: <>
Subject: Birding around Yarram
From: "Brian and Meg" <>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 17:51:20 +1100
Just a quick report about a couple of days birding in this area. On Thurs., we
drove around both sections of the Jack Smith Lake & Game Reserve. The northern
section  via Giffard Rd is open with the main access track in good condition.
Along it were numerous Striated Fieldwren diving for cover. Near the beach end
of the track, where all the nest boxes are, a smallish body of water is holding
a fair collection of the usual water-birds to be expected, but no waders
sighted. There was nothing extraordinary here so we headed to the southern
section of the park. This was accessed via Stringybark Lane which deteriorated
on entry to the park. It was along here that we found 9 Blue-winged Parrots - 4
adult + 5 imm. Nearby was a flock of about 40 White-fronted Chat. Further along
this lane, it turned south and became Linx Track. Along here, we came upon
another small body of water which had at least 300 Banded Stilt - most were out
of breeding plumage or imm. Our exit from the park wa
 s south along Linx to Brynes Rd and into Woodside Beach.
The next day, after heavy rain overnight, we headed up the range to the
Tarra-Bulga Nat. Park. We arrived at the Visitors Centre around 9:00am and
immediately noticed many Lyrebirds out on the grass scratching around. We
counted 9 - mostly males. Getting out of the car, we were astounded to hear
many more all around us in the forest - all calling loudly - a real cacophony
of sound. We saw many males displaying - a fabulous experience. At the Bulga
Picnic area, on the walk to the suspension bridge, we found 2 Pilotbirds on the
track - giving us 5 minutes of close views. We were thrilled.
Brian & Meg Johnson.