birding-aus

Earthflight and "wooden" Australian voice-over and the importance of nar

Subject: Earthflight and "wooden" Australian voice-over and the importance of narrators
From: Andrew Hobbs <>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:50:50 +0800
Ooops.

I should have read the rest of the post and kept my big mouth shut.

Andrew

On 17/02/2012 3:38 AM, Donald G. Kimball wrote:
I find it interesting the power a voice-over artist can have over a
documentary.  Here in North America we have a series called Planet Earth
which is absolutely stunning.  However they chose to have Oprah Winfrey
narrate!  It took me some time to get over Oprah as a narrator of a serious
scientific documentary series.

Now to be vulnerable here is a clear example of two narrators that I chose
to narrate my documentary on Australian Parrots.

The first one I fired because I didnt think he did a very good job at all
here he is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anulc_txptA

and now the second one!  A wonderful narrator from ACT named Michael Corkill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY7lW58k-go

Okay to be vulnerable now.  The first one is me.  I was in Aus for quite
sometime but I still sound like a Canadian who's voice doesnt project well
and certainly is not made to sound Australian!  It was fun to try narration
but in the end I am so glad I fired myself and hired a professional. A good
voice-over artist certainly can make or break a series.Of course
Attenborough comes to mind as a fantastic narrator for sure!

Love to hear more about favorite narrators.  Australia has some good ones.

Cheers!

Don Kimball
http://polytelismedia.wordpress.com/