birding-aus

[birdswa] Hudsonian Godwit back at Joondalup

To: Birds WA E-Mail List <>, Alan Collins <>, Birding-Aus <>
Subject: [birdswa] Hudsonian Godwit back at Joondalup
From: John Graff <>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 11:43:25 +0800
G'day everyone, As has been relayed, I was lucky enough to relocate Dimitris'
Hudwit at Joondalup this morning. It was in the Picnic Cove area, but not
visible from Picnic Cove as it would've been behind reeds. However clear, but
reasonably distant views were had from the east side of the lake opposite
Picnic Cove (along Scenic Drive). The views got poorer though as it got later
and heat haze came into play. A number of birders have already had a look, and
a few more were still en route when I left. I'll be back later this arvo in the
hope that it will have moved enough to be visible from there in the better
sightings conditions - it's currently hanging around with the breeding plumage
Blackwit
As Martin has posted, the other news is that several people have spotted a red
or orange colour band, and it may have been banded in Chile (though we await
further details). For people on the BirdsWA list, I've attached a woeful record
shot which apparently shows a hint of the coulour band (serious apologies about
the quality of the photo - the bird was quite distant, and the smoke haze
wasn't helping :D) This is the 1st record for WA In addition to the Hudwit and
Blackwit, there was at least one Gull-billed Tern flying around early in the
morning, and the crakes were still visible around just about any decent patch
of reeds on the lake! Cheers,John P.S. I think Martin may be going overboard
with "heroic efforts"... To: ; ;

Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 11:20:13 +0800
Subject: [birdswa] Hudsonian Godwit is leg-flagged

      Hi all,

As you will have heard the Hudsonian Godwit at Lake Joondalup was re-located

this morning after heroic efforts by John Graff. Views this morning were

distant but the big news is that the bird is LEG-FLAGGED! Looks to be

flagged dark orange or red on the upper left leg, plus we were remarking

about some pale patches on the tibia which now I realise would be aluminium

bands.

Orange upper would normally indicate Victoria. However, more likely than

Vic, there is a recent Hudwit banding project from Isla Chiloe in southern

Chile which carry a red flag upper left and an aluminium plus colour ring on

the upper right ­ eg. see

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/help-solve-the-mystery-of-hudsonian-godw

it-migration

There is also red-flagging done in Manitoba but that should have a white

alpha flag as well which I think we would have seen. The Chile red tags have

an alpha code so if anyone can photograph the bird well enough (without

disturbing it obviously) it may be identifiable. Plus if anyone can see the

colour of a colour band that may be present on the right leg that will

indicate the year of banding, assuming this is the Chile project.

Martin Cake

    __._,_.___

          Reply to sender |

          Reply to group |