birding-aus

Western Port count (VIC) - 11 Feb 2012

To: "" <>, "" <>
Subject: Western Port count (VIC) - 11 Feb 2012
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 10:23:12 +1100
Did everyone else get this email as a block of code? for some reason it's in
base64 format. It should read:

A brief summary of the Friends of French Island National Park outing last
Saturday (11 Feb.) participating in the Western Port Wader Count.

We split into two groups, one to check Rams Island and the west coast
roost site near Chilcott rocks and the other to Tortoise Head (TH) which I
lead.  Terrestrial birds were notably down compared to or last trip to TH.
 This was in part due no doubt to the windy conditions and lack of water
in the TH saltmarsh.

It was great to see a good flock of Curlews wheeling about their roost
site and the 'usual' raptors over the shearwater colony on TH.  The
Copperhead was a that cool air conditions don't equal cool ground
conditions!

I can recommend these quarterly counts as a great day out as there is
always interesting scenery and of course birds to see and hear.

Martin O'Brien
Melbourne

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Birdlife Australia Western Port Wader Count/FoFI trip

Stony Point is on the mainland about 70 km south east of Melbourne and all
the other sites below are on French Island which is in Western Port.  Most
of these locations fall within the French Island National Park or Marine
Park.

Stony Point (Mornington Peninsula)
Eastern Great Egret (1), Crested Tern, Silver Gull, Black Swan, Australian
White Ibis, Eastern Rosella, Royal Spoonbill, White-faced Heron,
Australian Pelican, Spotted Turtle-Dove, Common Myna

Walk to Tortoise Head (the saltmarsh was dry on the day, hence low bird
numbers)

Whistling Kite, Swamp Harrier, European Goldfinch, Pied Oystercatcher (in
flight), Brown Thornbill, Willy Wagtail (on beach near Tankerton Lodge),
Silvereye, White-fronted Chat (small flock including juveniles),
White-faced Heron, Eastern Great Egret (1), Lowland Copperhead (1)

Bay east of Tortoise Head
Black Swan (200 – 300), Masked Lapwing (2), Eastern Curlew (6), Whistling
Kite (3), Swamp Harrier (1), White-bellied Sea-Eagle (2 flying west
towards Tankerton), European Goldfinch (adults with 2 dependent young).

Tortoise Head roost site
Eastern Curlew (130 -140) – all birds came in from the east.

Ruddy Turnstone (> 20, seen in a flying flock), Pacific Gull 2, Little
Pied Cormorant (3), Pied Cormorant (4), Crested Tern (3), Short-tailed
Shearwater (approx 100 offshore during a squall), Australasian Gannett
(1), Red-necked Stint (less than 10), Red-capped Plover (< 10).

Tortoise Head beach (west side near roost)
Red-capped Plover (10-15 including 2 small downy runners), Red-necked
Stint (<10).

Tankerton (at information boards/toilets)
White-browed Scrubwren (2), European Goldfinch (heard only), Silvereye,
New Holland Honeyeater (heard), Pied Oystercatcher (46 on jetty), Little
Pied Cormorant (<15 on Tankerton jetty), Pacific Gull (1), Pied cormorant
(1) both on jetty pylons.