birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
Date: 13 Feb 2012 01:30:43 +1000

Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 12 Feb 2012.

Sun 12 Feb Plumed Whistling-Duck Wollongong Botanic Gardens
A flock of 12 Plumed Whistling-Ducks were sighted near the Kawasaki Bridge at the Botanic Gardens. Illawarra Birders are very grateful to Botanic Gardens staff for the tip-off.
Martin & Penny Potter

Lewin's Rail Moss Vale
Highlights of an afternoon trip to Moss Vale were a Lewin's Rail and a pair of White-necked Herons at Cecil Hoskins Nature Reserve and 5 Australian Shovelers and a Blue-billed Duck on the dam near the saleyards on Berrima Road
Robert Griffin

Osprey Porters Oval Newport
Osprey perched on the oval lights feeding.
Robyn Urquhart

Square-tailed Kite Acaica Gardens (6km north of Blacktown CBD)
Just before the storm this afternoon, I observed from my backyard an adult Square-tailed Kite soaring over the neighbourhood for about 10 minutes. This is at least the second time I have seen one from my backyard (within the last 2 years). Also seen today was quite a number of Musk Lorikeets and Red-rumped Parrot. Also had some Scaly-breasted Lorikeets last weekend.
Edwin Vella

Gull-billed Tern Penrith Lakes
About 12:00 midday today I observed two Gull-billed Terns in breeding plumage flying between two of the quarry lakes (away from any main public roads). This was on private property belonging to a friend of mine. Also, if anyone is thinking of checking on the nesting Great Crested Grebes near Cranebrook and Castlereagh Rd junction, it appears that any nests were destroyed by the flooding that the entire Penrith region suffered from on last Thursday night (09.02.2012).
Ákos Lumnitzer

Pheasant Coucal Eulah Creek, 20 km east of Narrabri (2390)
A single Pheasant Coucal in breeding plumage has appeared at Eulah Creek. Heard calling since the morning of 11 Feb, I got first photos this morning.
Michael Dahlem

Sat 11 Feb Blue-billed & Plumed Whistling Duck, Sea-eagle and Peregrine Falcon Gum Swamp, Forbes
3 hours were spent in total at Gum Swamp Forbes on the evening of 10/2 and the morning of 11/2/12, but no Freckled Duck seen. However adult Sea-Eagle, Peregrine and Whistling Kite were seen as well as , 1 Spotted Crake, 8+ Blue-billed Ducks, 10 Plumed Whistling Ducks flew over, many clutches of Black Ducks (6), Grey Teal (9) and Pink-eared Duck (3), nesting Darters and White-necked Herons, 2 Brown Quail and 2 prs of calling Rufous Songlarks.
Alan Morris & Mike Kuhl

sub-adult intermediate morph Red-footed Booby off Sydney
One of Raja's photo attached. More pictures on her website.
Nikolas Haass on the Halicat (Sydney pelagic)

Two Streaked Shearwaters off Sydney
Raja's photo of one of them attached. More pictures - also of the second Streaked Shearwater - on her website.
Nikolas Haass on the Halicat (Sydney pelagic)

Australian Magpie (Albino) Bell st, Dunbogan NSW
Recieved a call regarding 2 sub-adult Australian Magpies frequenting the gardens in Bell st, nothing unusual about that, only they are pure white.................that's different and they seem to be nest-mates.
Stephen Gallivan

Red-footed Booby, Streaked Shearwater, White-necked Petrel off Sydney
Highlight of today's Sydney pelagic trip was a sub-adult intermediate morph Red-footed Booby. If accepted by NSW ORAC it will be the 10th confirmed record for NSW. Also notable were Streaked Shearwater, White-necked Petrel and three Sooty Terns. Raja will post a photograph of the Red-footed Booby in the next couple of days.
Roger McGovern and all on the Halicat

Satin Bowerbird, Peregrine Falcon Flockhart Park , Croydon Park
Peregrine flew low over cricket pitch and then alighted on a large electricity pylon. As it flew over some bushes on the Burwood Road side, a Juvenile/Female Satin Bowerbird flew up into a nearby tree. Can't find any suitable environment for them to live and breed in nearby.
Simon Gorta

Fri 10 Feb Eastern Osprey Wee Jasper (54km South-west of Yass)
Highlight of the joint COG/Illawarra Birders weekend camp at Wee Jasper was an Osprey sighted by the Goodradigbee River on the north side of the bridge.
Illawarra Birders & COG

Buller's Shearwater Mistral Point, Maroubra
A Buller's Shearwater the highlight of a late afternoon seawatch at Maroubra. Many Wedge-tailed and Short-tailed Short-tailed Shearwaters, a couple of Flutterers, a couple Pomarine Jaegars and a few gannets.
Robert Griffin, Ray Gobbe and Fiona Brook

Blue-faced Honeyeater Orange NSW
9 x Blue-faced Honeyeaters in my large backyard Banskia. At least 3 juv's. Happy to share with Red Wattlebirds on occasion. This tree is supporting around 18 birds constantly due to its amazing flowers after a good wet season. All smaller species of my honeyeaters have retreated whilst the larger birds are there. Interesting to note the slaughter of pesky bees by the birds, they are snapping madly at them and the base of the tree is a bee graveyard!
Alison Doyle

Spotless Crake, hawks and falcons Western Sydney Parklands, Glendenning
At least three Spotless Crakes were heard in the extensive reed-beds at Glendenning today. A Grey Goshawk was also seen with a young Brown Goshawk, both had prey items (Silvereyes?). Later an Australian Hobby and a Peregrine Falcon completed the raptorial quartet
Mark Fuller

Plumed Whistling-Duck Bawley Point
6 Plumed Whistling-Ducks were sighted on private land at Bawley Point. As far as I know they have not been seen here before.
Margaret Hamon, Maggie Mance, Brian Coombes

Thu 9 Feb Little Bittern, Lewins Rail Partridge Creek nr Port Macquarie
Both the Little Bittern and Lewin's Rail were calling during a quick visit this morning. Water everywhere! Also Little Grassbirds, Chestnut-breasted Mannikins, Double-barred Finches and recently a Stubble Quail.
Matt Hinze

Noisy Pitta Ourimbah RTA Reserve
Appears to be juvenile as previously reported, Top Knot Pigeons,White throated Needletails and Regent Bowerbirds also present.
Peter Settle

Turquoise Parrots Nerriga Rd, 20km south of Nowra
Four Turquoise Parrots sitting on the power line. Had heard they are seen in the area at times but this was a first for me.
Ann Millard

Wed 8 Feb Sooty Oystercatcher Wombarra rock shelf. near the pool
Approximately 20 Sooty Oystercatchers on the rock shelf behind the swimming pool.
Michael Crosland

Plumed Whistling-Duck, Yellow-billed Spoonbill Powells Lane
I found a pair of Plumed Whistling-Ducks further along Powells Lane than reported yesterday. A new tick for me, and my first Yellow-billed Spoonbill for the year was seen at Marsden Park on the way home.
Mark Fuller

Mon 6 Feb Topknot Pigeon, White-headed Pigeon Ourimbah
First sighting of both species for me this year. Topknots at Ourimbah TAFE and White-headed Pigeons at a feeder nearby.
Mike Kuhl

Dollarbird Wolli Creek, Turrella
In tree over the fishway, right near Turrella Station, unusual at that site
Therese Alting

Plumed Whistling Duck Pond off Powells Lane Richmond
There was a single Plumed Whistling Duck on the pond near the intersection of Onus and Powells Lanes Richmond Lowlands
Adrian Dick

Square-tailed Kite South Penrith & Riverstone
One Square-tailed Kite observed soaring over South Penrith at midday then another (or same one?) approx. 18km NE near Garfield Rd East, Riverstone at 2:20pm.
Paul Burcher

Australasian Figbird Lethbridge and Castlereagh Sts, Penrith
group of 4-6 birds in street trees First time I have recorded AFs in Penrith.
Colin Scouler

Sun 5 Feb Brown Cuckoo-Dove Mulgoa
Group of 12 or 13 Brown Cuckoo-doves on the ground feeding by the road, a lare number for this area.
Peter Harvey

Fri 3 Feb Superb Fruit-Dove Kattang Nature Reserve
A female seen near some littoral rainforest.
Janet Cohen

Radjah Shelduck Upper Duck Ck, Old Bonalbo
A group of three found in a grass paddock close to a small wetland, close to Old Bonalbo
Terry Moodie per Alan Morris

Tue 24 Jan Australasian Bittern Firefly locality about 16 Km West of Nabiac
One Australasian Bittern standing on fence post then flew down to small swampy dam, 10 mtrs from road
Lynette Davis

Fri 20 Jan Glossy Black Cockatoo Bournda National Park
Breeding pair with 2 young in casuarina trees. Near Bournda Lagoon.
George Wilson

Birdline NSW is sponsored by Birding NSW, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT and Cumberland Bird Observers Club and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.