birding-aus

qld trip Oct - Dec 2011

To: birding aus <>
Subject: qld trip Oct - Dec 2011
From: Gary Wright <>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 19:37:05 +1030
The next lifers were at Centenary lakes opposite botanic gardens in Cairns.
 We had very poor views of double eyed fig parrot, screeching high overhead
but later had very close and stunning views at Palmerston National Park and
at the dam for water supply in Cairns at the carpark.  Should also mention
the lifer of Australian swiftlet over rainforest near the caravan park
where we stayed.
At Palmerston National Park the view of double eyed fig parrot was in the
same fig  tree in the campground, that the Cassowarry came to feed at for
the 2 mornings we were there, the spotted catbird fed in, figbirds
naturally and the musky rat kangaroo came out with the Cassowarry and had a
feed of the fallen figs.  Wompoo pigeon and black butcherbird were also
hanging around but didn't come to this particular tree.
The other new bird for Centenary lakes was Brown backed honeyeater.

Brown backed honeyeater, Ramsayornis modestus:  scientific name after
Edward Ramsay(1842-1916), curator of Australian Museum 1874-1994.  Modestus
refers to its plain or modest markings.

double eyed fig parrot Cyclopsitta diophthalma.  generic name from Greek
for round faced and Latin psitta for parrot.  the species name is a
combination of the Greek for double and eye and refers to the appearance
given by the dark blue loral spots.

Aerodramus terrareginae  Aerodramus is combination of Greek for air and
speeding and I am unable to find terrareginae.  Perhaps(or I am sure) that
someone will be able to enlighten us.

Gary