birding-aus

White-faced herons breeding Mid-North Coast NSW

Subject: White-faced herons breeding Mid-North Coast NSW
From: PennyDB <>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 12:52:35 +1100

Dear all

The pair of White-faced Herons that nested and fledged two young in my neighbour's ironbark on 23 or 24 January, are busy rearranging the nest with one bird standing on the nest at this moment - either sheltering eggs from the sun or just nest tittivating. It's too high to tell.

Can anyone tell me how common it is for WFHs to double nest? It will be interesting to see if this 2nd nest is successful.

We've had a huge amount of rain in the Gloucester area with the Avon and Gloucester Rivers over their banks twice this summer - and lots of rain in between the floodings - so I guess there is a lot of food around for them - certainly the frog chorus every night is stupendous.

The Cattle Egret colony at the southern end of Gloucester, just off Bucketts Way opposite the Golf Course, has increased enormously since the first nests were established in December. From only 4 willow trees originally used in 2010/11 season, they are now occupying all 8 trees, which are looking desperate, losing their leaves and sagging under the weight of nests and chicks. Got to get down there this evening and do another count.

Enjoy the birds!!