birding-aus

SLR without the mirror

To: Peter Shute <>
Subject: SLR without the mirror
From: Allan Richardson <>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 18:17:15 +1100
The problem with this type of design is that you are using the picture
capturing sensor to generate an image on the rear screen of the camera. When
you push the shutter release the camera must then switch form display mode to
picture taking mode. This is why the compact cameras (even those with an
electronic viewfinder) have an inherent delay between the pressing of the
shutter and when the photo is captured.

As a consequence anybody photographing active subjects, such as people
(especially children), pets, flowers, on anything but a dead calm day, and you
guessed it, birds, will likely encounter grief during the photographic process.

Some birds are so fast in their reactions that they can move into a poor
position when they hear the shutter on an SLR release, let alone a camera that
shares it's sensor with viewing capability.

Allan Richardson
Morisset NSW.