birding-aus

Roufous Night Heron dismembering Cane Toads.

To: "Tom Tarrant" <>,"Del Richards" <>
Subject: Roufous Night Heron dismembering Cane Toads.
From: "Tony Keene" <>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 06:58:59 +0100
If I heard correctly, the crows were making a tiny hole and extracting the
liver. This meant that without the pressure against their diaphragms, the toads
kept on inhaling until rupturing, apparently splattering entrails up to a metre
away.
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_animal#Toads
 I've heard of Black Butcherbirds ripping toads open down the length of their
bellies after flipping them over.
 Hopefully, these pests will be a welcome major food source for native birds in
the future.
 Cheers,

 Tony