birding-aus

Re-introduction of growd-dwelling native birdspecies to revegetated urba

To: "'Shirley Cook'" <>, "'Messages Birding-aus'" <>, "'Tim Dolby'" <>
Subject: Re-introduction of growd-dwelling native birdspecies to revegetated urban parkland
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 16:20:13 +1100
The Brown Treecreepers into a woodland remnant near Canberra comment is
relevant but they are quite different situation from Superb Fairy-wren and
White-browed Scrubwren. Or maybe I am just thinking of Canberra, where the
latter two species are still so common and dispersive, that they re
establish themselves constantly, just through normal dispersal. (Hard to
suggest a need for such a program here for those species.) Sure due to the
numbers of Pied Currawongs and cats, (and possibly Collared Sparrowhawks),
urban areas may be a bit of a population sink for them. In contrast, the
Brown Treecreepers has declined from formerly reasonably widespread to very
few colonies, that are very isolated. We do not have Brown Treecreepers just
passing through Canberra suburban habitat but the other two species
constantly do and breed successfully in suburban gardens and parks (I have
had both species at least once successfully raising young in my very
ordinary little suburban garden).

Philip Veerman
24 Castley Circuit
Kambah  ACT  2902

02 - 62314041

-----Original Message-----From:
 On Behalf Of Shirley Cook
Sent: Wednesday, 1 February 2012 2:33 PM        To: Messages Birding-aus
Subject: Fw: Re-introduction of growd-dwelling native
birdspecies to revegetated urban parkland

Dear all,

A comment from Hugh Ford

Regards
Shirley