birding-aus

Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 23 Jan 2012 01:30:25 +1000

Birdline North Queensland

Published sightings for the week ending 22 Jan 2012.

Sun 22 Jan Purple Swamphen Weipa
One bird observed taken by a White breasted Sea Eagle near the mouth of Pine river. It is only the 4th swamphen I have seen in 7 years living in Weipa and an unusual prey item for the eagle.
Ben Bright

Sat 21 Jan Red-tailed Black-Cockatoo, Grey Goshawk, white phase Kamerunga
55 RTBCs flew over my house tonight, my biggest count since their arrival after cyclone Yasi. Also 1 Grey Goshawk white phase seen - 5th time in the last 12 months from my house.
Adam Arnold

Zitting Cisticola Morris Creek Road, south of Giru
Less than 100 metres from the boat ramp one Zitting Cisticola seen and at least two heard calling from within grass close to the road. Further back from the boat ramp there were also Golden-headed Cisticola active along with Horsfield's Bushlark. Crimson Finches were also present. 10.00 am. on 21st January. Excellent close view with binoculars but not enough time for a photograph also! This species was seen at this same location in January last year.
Peter Valentine

Wed 18 Jan Little Eagle Townsville Town Common Conservation Park
Seen clearly if briefly, perched in top of tree just past first cattle grid, catching the sun on a very overcast morning.
Niel Bruce

Tue 17 Jan Shining Flycatcher, Mangrove Robin Bushland Beach
Shining Flycatcher (2) Male (photo) and female seen in bushland and mangrove forest about 70 metres east of the viewing platform. Mangrove Robin (3) All calling well and all seen within 100 metres east of the viewing platform.
Len & Chris Ezzy

Mon 16 Jan Latham's Snipe, Little Grassbird Spotswood station
Latham's Snipe (1) Most unusual to see Latham Snipe in this region during January. Flushed from fallow and partly inundated sugar cane paddock along Wallace Road. Little Grassbird (4) 2 seen and 2 others heard in the dense reeds/cumbungi in freshwater swamp.
Len & Chris Ezzy

Sun 15 Jan Glossy Ibis Piralko Road (Cnr Bruce Highway), locality of Mount Surround
At 6:30am Sunday 15 January 2012, as we drove south from Townsville along the Bruce Highway, we stopped at the Piralko Road intersection for a quick look at what we estimate was at least 200 Glossy Ibis densely interspersed and feeding in the inundated grasslands with about 400 Cattle Egret. Then, as we continued our journey, about a few kilometres on, near Pink Lily Lagoon, we were passed by at least another 150 Glossy Ibis, flying in the direction of the Glossies we had just counted.
Len and Chris Ezzy

Sun 1 Jan sooty owl Davis Creek Road - Dinden NP.
good nights spot lighting with 3 Sooty Owl seen in rain forest area. Tawny Frogmouth, Barn Owl and Barking Owl seen at the lower altitudes.
adam arnold

Birdline North Queensland is sponsored by Birds Australia North Queensland and Townsville Region Bird Observers Club and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.

Unsubscribe