birding-aus

WTNTs Gorokan NSW

To: "Russ Lamb" <>
Subject: WTNTs Gorokan NSW
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 14:13:57 +1100
Russ,

A kettle means a group of birds soaring and circling together either feeding or on a thermal. They look rather like peas or such in a pot coming up to the boil. We don't seem to have many species that do kettle. WTN, Fork-tailed Swift and Aus.Pelican are the only ones I've seen doing it here. Overseas, it is common behaviour in migrating raptors, storks and cranes etc. A large kettle of raptors is an impressive sight.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford