birding-aus

Fiji Trip - Pelagic

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Fiji Trip - Pelagic
From: robert morris <>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 01:16:14 +0000
All
I put a note on birding aus a while ago about a possible trip to Fiji - birding
generally but with a specific pelagic involved.
I have now got some information and started to get some details.  I know have
details a live-a-board vessel I'm looking to hire (not for any personal profit)
for 3 days at sea and all of the time will be spent S SSW of Gau in areas where
Fiji Petrels have been recorded in May (recently).
I am not sure of the exact dates - possibly the week beginning the 7th May -
but there are 8 spaces and 2 already taken. i.e. there are 6 places left for
this 3 day pelagic and the cost per person would be between $1300-1500 for the
3 days. All the Chum would be provided and this boat has done this trip before
successfully.
In addition to the good chance of Fiji Petrel a large range of other tropical
seabirds are likely - including Collared Petrels etc.
Please let me know if you are specifically interested in this trip.
I will also be organizing birding on 2 or 3 of the islands looking for endemics
when I know when this trip will happen. I guess we're likely to have a window
of  a week (due to weather in which to make the trip).
The boat would not go from Gau - it would leave from Suva (on Viti Levu) -
which is very close to Gau.
Please let me know ASAP as i have some international interest too.
thanks
Rob Morris

Brisbane, Australia