birding-aus

Conservation achievements in southeast Queensland

To: <>, "Angus Innes" <>
Subject: Conservation achievements in southeast Queensland
From: "Greg Roberts" <>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:51:54 +1000
I'm glad you had a fine time Angus.

You make a good point about conservation achievements in southeast
Queensland. We worry with good cause about what lies ahead but we shouldn't
forget the successes that have been notched up. In this part of the world,
these have been substantial. Logging and forest-clearing in the Conondale,
Blackall and D'Aigular Ranges are unpleasant memories. Just recently, a
national park of over 10,000ha was declared over the Blackall Range, a short
distance from the tourist mecca of the Sunshine Coast.

In similar vein, the heathlands of the Noosa Plain with their Ground Parrots
and other goodies were saved, and now the Great Sandy World Heritage Area
extends from the tip of Fraser Island south almost to Noosa. Mining and
logging in Cooloola and on Fraser Island will never again be contemplated.

Not all is gloom.

Greg Roberts

Message: 18