birding-aus

Checklists

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Checklists
From: Phil & Sue Gregory <>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 15:19:52 +1000
Good to see some progress with the vexatious subject of the Australian
Checklist, I'd sure be happy to see the IOC adopted and then regular updates as
required.

I made my own Australian Checklist in 2008 when I had got tired of waiting 20
years for the new C & B, and also wanted to separate out all the distant island
territory records from the actual mainland species. I published two paper
editions and now maintain it as an on-line free download. The Nov 2011 version
is available on the sicklebillsafaris website and I will get the new Jan 2012
version uploaded shortly. I basically follow the IOC but have some minor
variations e.g. I can't see why all the Shrike-tits are one species, same for
Ringneck Parrots. I have the grasswren splits and the quail-thrush changes all
duly logged, and try to keep pace with the vagrants!
If you'd like the latest e-version just drop me an email meantime.

There is also a New Guinea Checklist in the same series, and this is steadily
evolving  as I work through species accounts for my forthcoming New Guinea
field guide- recent research leads me to adopt splits for both Reddish and Biak
Myzomela for example, also Buff-breasted Mouse Warbler. The Nov 2011 edition is
also online as a free download at the sicklebillsafaris website, and the Jan
2012 edition is due to be uploaded shortly.
Birders are welcome to make use of them and constructive comment is likewise
welcome- errors and omissions are my own and I'm happy to be advised of same.
Sicklebill Safaris / Cassowary House

Website 1: Http://www.sicklebillsafaris.com
Website 2: Http://www.cassowary-house.com.au