birding-aus

Buff-breasted Button-quail at Big Mitchell Creek, North Qld

Subject: Buff-breasted Button-quail at Big Mitchell Creek, North Qld
From: Lloyd Nielsen <>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 11:54:37 +1000
Regarding the recent Buff-breasted Button-quail sightings in the Big Mitchell Creek area, north of Mareeba, NE Qld - I would strongly urge that these be submitted to Birds Queensland Records Appraisal Committee (info at http://birdsqueensland.org.au/ or contact the Chairman, David Stewart at if they are to be of any worth. Because the species is difficult to separate from Painted Button-quail in flight, all records should be vetted if they are to be of any value. We are trying to gather as much data as possible on this very rare and endangered species. The features that were used to identify a bird as Buff-breasted should be given. It is also essential to indicate why they weren't Painted Button-quail - the common button-quail in those areas. Unfortunately, doubt must be placed on some sightings recently claimed as Buff-breasted Button-quail, the features of which don't tally with that species.

The Buff-breasted Button-quail is an extremely rare bird. To be able to walk in and make fairly immediate contact with a Buff-breasted Button-quail constitutes one chance in thousands. The last BBBQ I saw was three years ago and I have spent many hours/days each wet season searching for them in that area and a number of others from where they have been recorded.

Lloyd Nielsen,
Mt Molloy, Nth Qld