birding-aus

Camera Exchange

Subject: Camera Exchange
From: Chris Ross <>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 18:18:31 +1100
John,

don't believe this happens much these days, there are a shrinking number of dealers who will sell gear on consignment, but don't know of any that will trade in so to speak. The commission starts at about 20% and goes up from there.

The problem is that camera gear, apart from high end pro gear does not hold value like it used to, As far as consignment sales go stores tend to be picky about what they will sell. Ebay is generally the chosen means for buying and selling second hand and is basically responsible for driving prices down. The other issue is the explosion of new models, cameras, particularly compacts, they quickly become obsolete and effectively worthless, because of the new features and generally lower price o the new model, not to mention the fact that compact tend to have a short life and are not usually worth repairing.

Your probably better off selling your gear on Ebay or perhaps trying the Photographic Trader which offers free ads, you can get it at newsagents, then buying from one of the new online/shopfront dealers like digi direct or if you are game buy from Ebay, which is where most of my current gear is sourced from.

If I knew what you were thinking of trading/selling I could hazard a guess at how easy it would be to sell.

regards,

Chris Ross