birding-aus

RFI - native plants for birds in the Gladstone / Capricorn region QLD

To: "Hannah Busch" <>, <>
Subject: RFI - native plants for birds in the Gladstone / Capricorn region QLD
From: "Greg & Val Clancy" <>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 17:37:21 +1100
I am from the NSW North Coast and not your area but from the photos I can see the usual suspects that are threatening our biodiversity. The shrubs are mostly Duranta erecta, which gets masses of orange-yellow berries which are transported into the bush by birds. It is native to Mexico to South America and the Caribbean. The palms are Golden Cane Palms, a native of Madagascar, and while not likely to spread too far should be replaced with local palms. The Lomandras (Mat-rush) are probably OK but most likely not from the local area. There was one small tree that had been pruned. It looked like a bottlebrush but again is probably not local.

We developed our garden at Coutts Crossing with only local species grown from seeds collected in the local area. If there is a nursery in town that does this great otherwise you will end up with plenty of natives but probably not local natives. The local fauna is adapted to the local plants so if you go native but not local then you can create more problems than if you plant exotics, and I am not suggesting that you do this.

I will send you a paper that I published on how we developed our backyard in an ecologically friendly way. We live in a village and the number of native species (birds, mammals, reptiles and amphibians) that use or have visited the yard is impressive - over 130 species by the year 2000.

I hope that these comments have been helpful

Regards

Greg

Dr Greg. P. Clancy
Ecologist and Wildlife Guide