birding-aus

Re Honeyeaters hair gathering

To: <>
Subject: Re Honeyeaters hair gathering
From: "Jill & Sue" <>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 12:28:59 +1100
In July 2009 we were having lunch on a rock ledge overlooking Yeomans Bay,
Kuring-gai Chase NP when a White-eared Honeyeater hovered behind Sue's neck and
helped itself to some hair curling out below her cap. When the bird flew off
she removed her cap. It returned with a second bird and while one stayed at a
distance, calling, the other bird stood on Sue's head and removed a few more
hairs.  Later we were amazed to find from the September issue of Wingspan that
our Champagne Moment had been 'pipped' by over 80 years as Keith Hindwood had
reported a similar event in 1928!

Jill Rossiter & Sue Casson

PO Box 17 HORNSBY NSW 1630
Mobiles: 0409 578320(Jill); 0417 578320(Sue)