birding-aus

Lord Howe Island: Oriental Pratincole and more

To: "" <>
Subject: Lord Howe Island: Oriental Pratincole and more
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 05:14:23 -0800 (PST)
During a week on Lord Howe Island (26/12/2011 to 2/1/2012) we had a total of 41
bird species. Besides the "usual suspects" we had the following:

Australian Wood Duck: 1 male, airport 30/12/2011
Hardhead: 1 female, airport 30/12/2011
Wandering Albatross (exulans) 1, Ball’s Pyramid 1/1/2012
White-necked Petrel 2, Ball’s Pyramid 1/1/2012
Great Cormorant: up to 4, main island 26/12/2011-1/1/2012
Wandering Tattler: 1, Ned’s Beach 30/12/2011 and again
2/1/2012
Oriental Pratincole: 1, airport 2/1/2012
We did not see the two winter-breeding tubenoses and the introduced Masked Owl.
Besides birds, we saw a bat (ID pending), Lord Howe Island Gecko, Rainbow Skink
(not LHI Skink) and lots of fish.

Cheers,

Nikolas