birding-aus

Peregrine foraging observation

Subject: Peregrine foraging observation
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 16:23:22 +1100
A raptor snippet for those interested in Peregrines.

While out riding to Ruffy (NE Victoria) south of Euroa over the weekend my
wife and I stopped on a quiet roadside (Bartons Lane Creighton's Creek
area) to have a cuppa.

While enjoying the welcome shade under a tree we observed a juvenile
Crimson Rosella fly past not far above head height.

Less than a minute later the rosella flew away from us from a nearby tree
to another tree about 50 m away.  Before it managed to alight in the
second tree a Peregrine flew in behind it and just grabbed it from above.

The encounter was at low speed and the rosella behaved as though it had no
idea of what was about to happen.  Quite a sight to observe 'Nature, red
in tooth and claw'

Martin O'Brien
Melbourne

Notice:
confidential, legally privileged and/or copyright.No part of it should be
reproduced,
adapted or communicated without the prior written consent of the copyright
owner.

If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by return
email, delete
it from your system and destroy any copies. You are not authorised to use,
communicate or rely on the information
contained in this email.