birding-aus

What is the function of Channel-billed Cuckoo's calling flights?

To: <>
Subject: What is the function of Channel-billed Cuckoo's calling flights?
From: robert burgoyne <>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 10:39:21 +1100
I agree with Dr Ambrose.  On a recent trip up to north Queensland I saw groups
of 3 and 5 birds flying together calling.  The group of 3 near Gladstone I
observed frrom time to time for an hour  and they were not approached by other
birds once.  My observation of single birds however, especially in Alice
Springs where I lived for 26 years is that they are constantly mobbed whilst
alone and calling.  I also noted in the Alice that two birds would often fly
together towards their roost sites in the evening.  I have also seen the
unusual sight of a juvenile bird out of the nest being fed by two Torresian
Crows whilst others of the same species were attacking it!

Rob Burgoyne

Message: 5