birding-aus

Help with Bird ID please

To: Jeff Davies <>, 'Mike Carter' <>, 'Nikolas Haass' <>, 'Peter Madvig' <>, 'M & P Potter' <>, "" <>
Subject: Help with Bird ID please
From: David James <>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 02:27:21 -0800 (PST)
Hi all,

Marie Lister has sent me some more photos of the Windang skua, including dorsal
and ventral shots in flight. It now appears to be certainly an Arctic (too many
primaries with white bases and shafts for Long-tailed, to gracile for Pomarine,
plus bicoloured bill). It is also an adult, because it has entirely uniform
underwing coverts. It is also in heavy  moult, replacing very worn and bleached
feathers all over, showing a big hole in the middle of the tail, most
secondaries replaced but outers still growing, some inner primaries new and a
dogs breakfast in the coverts. Contra my previous post, it appears to be only 2
generations of feathers, but an unusually long time since the last one.

So Nikolas was right from the outset, and Jeff was on the ball that pale
fringes to the  upperparts are actually a feature of winter plumage in Arctic
Jaegers of all ages. Very educational for me.

Thanks everyone for sharing the photos and your insights. I'll forward the
photos on to those involved (in case I'm still wrong).

David James,
Sydney