birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 28 Nov 2011 01:30:58 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 27 Nov 2011.

Sun 27 Nov Painted Honeyeater, Intermediate Egret Boweya Forest
A single Painted Honeyeater in forest between Keenan and Wangaratta Roads this morning. An Intermediate Egret was also an unusual sighting here.
Michael Ramsey

Sat 26 Nov White-throated Needletail Mitchell River National Park (Den of Nargun)
Around 30 White-throated Needletail flying very high over the Mitchell River on a very humid day with storms threatening.
Nicole Spillane & Paul Jacobson

White-throated Needletail Australian King-Parrot Ovens River, Peechelba East
White-throated Needletail (1) overhead flying east, first for the 2011-2012 season, unsettled and stormy weather at the time. Australian King-Parrot (2) surprised to find here, one heard, a female seen, getting very north-west in range here
Michael Ramsey

Plumed Whistling-Duck Peechelba
A large flock of 110 Plumed Whistling-Ducks seen loafing around a couple of dams along Cemetery Road.
Michael Ramsey

Nankeen night heron, Baillons Crake, Pink eared ducks Edithvale Wetlands
Near the old bird hide on the viewing platform, in the rain i saw 5 Nankeen night herons, 2 Baillon crakes, at least 8 Pink eared ducks, a black winged stilt, 2 male and 1 female Blue billed ducks and the local single Magpie goose along with alot of other water birds.
David Kelly

White Winged Triller Quarry hill golf course
Single male bird seen in the small gum trees between the 5th and 6th holes. First time I've seen one anywhere in Bendigo.
Greg McKay

Fri 25 Nov Brown Quail, Australasian Bittern Seaford Swamp
In a total of 77 species seen on the Birds Australia survey for Melbourne Water, highlights were a Brown Quail (the first record for the wetlands), a calling Stubble Quail and an Australasian Bittern, one of only three records for the past 9 years and the first non-winter record at the swamp since the early 1980s. Also recorded were several Pink-eared Duck, dependant Dusly Woodswallow young and out of season Yellow-faced Honeyeaters.
Sean Dooley, Andrew Silcocks

Little Corella, Collared Sparrowhawk Western Treatment Plant
A flock of 55 Little Corellas flying arounf Beach Rd gate, no Long-billed detected. This is the first time I've seen Little Corellas at Werribee SF. 1 male Collared Sparrowhawk harassed by a Magpielark on Pt WIlson Rd just south of freeway. Also 1 Brolga at Pt WIlson Saltmarsh & a juvenile Spotted Harrier on adjacent grasslands.
Kevin Bartram

Baillons Crake, Spotted Crake, Spotless Crake Coolart Wetlands
3 Baillons Crakes, one Spotted and one Spotless Crake observed in a short while from the crake hide at Coolart
Wayne Butterworth

Painted Snipe (11) Western Treatment Plant, Werribee.
Bob Swindley, Danny Rogers and I (M. Hulzebosch) were conducting a wader count today at the WTP. I sighted two Painted Snipe at 11.30am in an area not accessible to the general public. When the wader count was completed at around 5.30pm, Bob, Danny, and I revisited the area where I had seen the two snipes. To our amazement we found a minimum of eleven Painted Snipes. This group consisted of adult males, females and a number of juvenile birds. It is great to see this species being reported so much in the last number of weeks, particularly in this part of Victoria.
Bob Swindley, Danny Rogers and Maarten Hulzebosch

Freckled Duck, Blue-billed Duck, Black-fronted Dotterel Lorne Lake Reserve, Drysdale
A pair of each duck in SW corner of lake. Will need scope to see properly.
Michael and Gwen Bird

Australian Painted Snipe, Latham's Snipe Berwick Springs Lake
Latham's Snipe (24) Counted 24 as flushed some circled overhead , others flew straight to long grass , may have seen some twice , but I believe there were more here than counted , amazing numbers seen. Australian Painted Snipe (1) 1 Definite and 1 possible , 1 flushed near Lathams only quick glimpse , other bird flushed from lake's edge and seen well , though dull in colour got great views of underwing . The site is in the middle of the lakes system , 2 well concealed ponds with grass area's between lakes . Park along Moondarrah Dve. cross 2 small footbridges then head northwest , away from pathway.
Colin Mulvogue

Thu 24 Nov Intermediate Egret, Cattle Egret, Eastern Great Egret Sale Common
At south-eastern end of the common, right next to the Flooding Creek track. About 30 Intermediate, 10 Cattle and a few Eastern Great. Much surprise re: the number of Intermediate. The presence of the other two species provided a good comparison for identification.
Rustem Upton and David Lockwood

Spotless Crake, Baillon's Crake Royal Park, Parkville
At the Trin Warren Tam-boore Wetlands, good views of one Spotless Crake with at least 3 others calling in the ponds; one Baillon's seen; and a Sacred Kingfisher calling nearby. Couldn't find the Painted Snipe.
Chris and Rosemary Lester

Channel -Billed Cuckoo Berwick
A cuckoo has returned for the 3rd consecutive year to the eastern side of Berwick, near Beaconsfield. I presume it is the same bird or bird or birds (2 were seen last year). I have not yet had a sighting this year but it was first heard on the11th &15th of November and today at 9am. On all occasions by work collegues and myself .It was sounded like it was calling from the Elgin & Turner St area, Melways ref. page 111, F8 & F9 .
Graham Beal

White-necked Heron Emerald
4 birds seen at dusk, 8.45pm .They took off from a dam on the corner of Emerald/Beaconsfield & Paternoster Roads and flew around looking for trees to roost in.
Graham Beal

Pallid Cuckoo, Little Black Cormorant, White-necked Heron, Royal Spoonbill, Wedge-tailed Eagle Woori Yallock

Peter Booth

Yellow-billed Spoonbill, White-necked Heron Millgrove
Yellow-billed Spoonbill (1) afternoon, small wetland in pasture west of Millgrove, north of Rail Trail, hot and windy, first seen perched on fence, later wading, also White-necked Heron (5)
Peter Booth

Wedge-tailed Eagle Seville
Wedge-tailed Eagle (3) early afternoon, gliding at various heights above open paddocks, east of Seville, hot and windy.
Peter Booth

Wed 23 Nov Spotted Harriers Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Two Spotted Harriers Seen - or possibly the same bird seen twice. One seen on Beach Rd approaching the entry to the plant. Second sighting an hour later on 29 Mile Rd west of the Western Lagoon
Andrew Martin

Nankeen Night Heron Taylors Lakes VIC
A pair of Nankeen Herons sighted flying from Watergardens direction to the main "Lake" opp the picnic area. Settled into trees at the far end. However not spotted this morning(24 Nov 11). Also present for the past few days - Great Heron. And the European Goldfinch have returned too. (Dontcha love Spring and Summer)
Andre Rasquinha

White Necked Heron, Great Egret, intermediate Egret, Black Winged Stilt, Straw Necked & Sacred Ibis Din San plant nursery ( 370 Old Dandenong rd Dingley )
Driving past this site every day to get to work, has revealed some very interesting birds over the last 3 weeks. The area is a large block of unused land that is owned by the nursery. Following recent rains, the area has now transformed into a mini wetlands, teeming with water birds! White Necked & White Faced Herons photographed today, along with the above Egrets, 4 Black winged Stilts, various waterfowl species and both Ibis species. Skylark & Peregrine Falcon flying overhead (with prey in its talons).
Con Baltas

Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo Lake Connewarre
Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo (5) just after midday, east end of Como Rd. hanging around pine trees, very windy.
Peter Booth

Tue 22 Nov Black-Shouldered Kite Ballan Rd between Balliang and Wyndham Vale
True to their crepuscular nature, I observed 8 Black-Shouldered Kites flying/hovering above the roadside and in adjacent paddocks on the Ballan Rd, between Balliang and Wyndham Vale in fading light between 19:45 and 20:05 hrs tonight. A friend of mine had reported seeing 4 BSK's on the same road whilst driving a couple of weeks earlier. Several of the birds were obviously juveniles of the 2011 season.
David Whelan

Australian Pratincole Meridian Lakes, Merbein South
Four Pratincoles observed today, not far from the first lake on Meridian Road, just south of the Sturt Highway. Local birdos first saw five about a week ago. They appear to divide their time between the lake and the ploughed paddock to the west. Also saw six Glossy Ibis on the next lake, another uncommon sighting for this area. Many other water birds, including Spotted Crake and Red-kneed Dotterel.
Michael Mack, George Kerridge

Red-necked Avocet Cheetham Wetlands (Altona Meadows)
Red-necked Avocet (1000) 3 large groups and a smaller group towards the Tower , Mixed with Banded Stilts , Largesr group held close to 500 Birds .
Colin Mulvogue

Freckled Duck, Spotted Harrier Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
7 Freckled Duck in SW corner of Lake Borrie. Spotted Harrier on road to Ryan's Swamp. 2 Ruddy Turnstone at "Cormorant Jetty". 3 Brown and 1 Rufous Songlark on Beach Rd. Marsh Sandpiper on 35E Conservation ponds. 2 Great-Crested Grebe on Western Lagoons. No sign of Banded Lapwings on the Beach Rd Dam or the Painted Snipe
Dave Torr, Peter Gibbons and John Revill

Australian Painted Snipe Royal Park, Trin Warren Tam-boore Wetlands
Near path end of boardwalk - Snipe standing on path having just left dense reeds. Bird froze before flying off. Also sighted Sacred Kingfisher. (Moderator's Note: a significant record for inner Melbourne, observers should keep a lookout in their local suburban wetlands for this species).
Andrew Williams

Mon 21 Nov Black Honeyeater Goschen
Thanks to recent Birdline reports, went to Goschen to see Black Honeyeaters. Saw about a dozen. Lots of Singing Honeyeaters and Budgerigars. Also 2 White Winged Trillers. A great little spot. Most action seems to be around the old hall and tennis courts.
Murray Chambers

Freckled Duck Lake Lorne Reserve Drysdale
Four possibly five birds observed on the edge of the island, huddled in amongst the willow. Great views of two. No coloured males observed.
Scott Ryan

Tawny frogmouth Middle Park
Tawny Frogmouth just glided over the fence to perch on our clothesline at approximately 9pm!I had a feeling there was one in the area - I saw the silhouette of a large bird in the bushes a few months ago, but I never heard any bird calls or anything. And then at approx.9pm, a Tawny Frogmouth glided into our backyard and perched on the clothesline.
Angela Thompson

Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo Yackandandah
A group of 20 yellow-tailed black cockatoos visiting roadside vegetation near Rowdy Flat (Racecourse Rd Yackandandah). The foothills in this part of the world seem to be ideal habitat (especially with the Stanley S.F. pine plantations), however this is my first record here.
Matt Weeks

Great, Intermediate and Little Egrets Victoria Lagoon - Hollands Landing , near old Onga pump sign.
Mixed flock of 35 Egrets mainly comprising of Great and Intermediates with a few Little’s amongst them, feeding in shallows and loafing along shoreline. Most number I have observed at Vic Lagoon.
Faye Bedford

Nankeen Night Heron, Buff-banded Rail Kennington Reservoir ,Strathfieldsaye
2 Adults and 2 Juveniles. Also spotted a Buff-Banded Rail.
Jeroen Stel

Sun 20 Nov Baillon's Crake Trin Warren Tam-boore wetlands
After seeing Friday's report of Baillon's Crake I visited the wetlands and had some good sightings from the boardwalk
Anne Palamountain

Pacific Golden Plover King's Rd, Rutherglen
Possible sighting of a pair on the northern edge of wetland; almost sure but too far away to be positive. (Moderator's note: this species has also been sighted at Winton Wetlands in recent days, a very rare bird in North East Victoria so potentially the same birds).
Terry Gourley

Freckled Duck, Cattle Egret, Banded Lapwing etc Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
13 Freckled Ducks, 8 on a pond just south of Walsh's Lagoon & 5 on western part of Paradise Rd Lagoon. 70 Cattle Egrets, some in breeding plumage at Paradise Rd. 90 Banded Lapwings where dam is on north side of Beach Rd, just east of Avalon Airport. Numbers of ducks increasing, with a few thousand Pink-ears just south of Walsh's Lagoon. 1 juvenile Ruddy Turnstone at outlet south of Conservation Ponds. 1 Wedge-tailed Eagle on freeway just before Pt Wilson Rd turnoff. 1 juv Spotted Harrier around Kirk Point/Beach Rd area.
Kevin Bartram

Western Gerygone Kamarooka, Victoria
Western Gerygone seen in same spot on Campbells Road last 2 visits. Lots of Purple Gaped Honeyeaters. Also about 6 juvenile White browed Babblers - first evidence of breeding I have seen for 3 years. Also 3 Crested Shrike-Tits at Camp Road Dam.
Murray Chambers

Sat 19 Nov Australian Painted Snipe, White-winged Triller, Rufous Songlark Serendip Sanctuary, Lara
Australian Painted Snipe: Seen on branch of North Arm adjacent to road causeway and opposite Farm Dam. The bird was very flighty and flushed, heading south. We followed and flushed it again from the side of the track where it flew west, towards North Arm. We could not relocate it after that. We were initially alerted to its presence by Paul Hackett. The bird was present again on Sunday morning, and then again at around 2pm. White-winged Triller: Our first record of this species at Serendip (although has been seen by others in the last two weeks). Rufous Songlark: Our first record of this species in about 2 years at this site.
Paul Dodd & Ruth Woodrow

Tue 15 Nov Sacred kingfisher Bell Street, Seddon
Single sacred kingfisher flew (darted) across my backyard in the morning and was perched on my clothesline for a short time late that afternoon. I got a very good look at him/her. Haven't sighted since. Very beautiful bird!
Lyn Morling

Mon 14 Nov Sacred Kingfisher Dandenong
This beautiful specimen, which I think was a male, early in the morning. Near Dandenong Creek and overlapping with kookaburra habitat. Thoroughly surprising and delightful!
Aloma Davis

Tue 1 Nov Buff-Banded Rail mt martha
i am on a farm. the BBR is near the house and a dam. this is the first sighting in 30 years (that Iam aware of) here. At first there were two and now only one, and I think a chic. I have been trying to identify it for 2 months now and am now finially positive that it is a BBR. i will endevour to photograph it but is quite shy and furtive.
ann scally

Common Sandpiper Mouth of Kororoit Creek, North Williamstown
At 1350 hours, two Common Sandpipers were observed on the south side of the creek, a short distance upstream of the mouth. Previous sightings at same location by myself,17/10/2011(one bird) and Anthea Fleming, 10/11/2011(two birds). A good number of Common Greenshanks also present.
Peter Gibbons.

Australian Pratincole, Glossy Ibis Meridian Lakes, Merbein South
Three Pratincole seen this morning, along with four Glossy Ibis, on Meridian Road just south of the Sturt Highway. Also Spotted Crake, Red-kneed Dotterel and Red-capped Plover, and many other water birds on small lakes still remaining from last years floods.
Michael Mack, George Kerridge

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by Birds Australia - Victoria and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.

Unsubscribe