birding-aus

Satin Bowerbird questions: Yellow petals and advertisement calls

To: David Adams <>
Subject: Satin Bowerbird questions: Yellow petals and advertisement calls
From: Allan Richardson <>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 19:35:06 +1100
Hi Dave,

Satin Bowerbirds regularly use yellow. I've seen them with Hibbertia scandens
flowers, as well as other lemon or yellow blossoms and Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
crest feathers as well. The bird who has taken up residence in our backyard
includes pine tree sprigs that are a combination of yellow and green and
recently has taken to adding yellow leaves from one of the neighbouring
gardens. Of course he still has many blue items, but also chooses purple, the
old egg cases of praying mantis (look like little yellow-brown styrene eggs),
he's used a possum skull in the past, and snake skins are a regular for birds
in a more natural setting.

The usual advertisement call of active males is a slightly descending grating
call, almost a little reminiscent of a riflebird's hiss. Our bird and a number
I have noted over the years usually advertise in the top of a tree above the
bower. It may be possible that you have competing males if a bird is
advertising some distance from where you're sure a bower is located?

Our bird has changed the location of his bower on a number of occasions,
although it is impossible to know how many times the territory has changed
hands, since the neighbours clear glass pool fence accounted for one male and
my daughter found another adult male dead near the bower. The birds have used
four different locations, but they usually favour only two, seeming to swap
between them at least once a year in the past. However, the current bird has
favoured the one he's using now for some time. When he changes bower location
he also changes advertising location, so this may be another reason you are
noticing a change in advertisement tree.

The rising and falling note that you describe sounds like the call I often hear
as birds warm up their calling repertoire. The bower we have is attended by a
mature and an immature male that the adult bird tolerates at the bower. A
number of immature birds visit and these two chase them away, so the young
males will go through display practice sessions from the canopy of surrounding
trees.

If you are patient and quiet Bowerbirds will often tolerate observation from a
distance even when displaying, and it may help you unravel your local mysteries.

I hope these observations are of some help.

Allan Richardson
Morisset NSW